Vixy YouTube Embed and Download
A simple method of embedding YouTube videos (with download links) into your pages. Easy to use, but with powerful features for those that need them.
Vixy YouTube Embed and Download is a simple, powerful method of embedding YouTube videos, offering your readers an easy way to download videos.
Check out the Vixy plugin video:
WordPress requires you to opt-in to the video download feature.
- Go to the Profile section under the YouTube sidebar option in your WordPress Admin.
- Tick the Show Download Links option under Options for All Player Types.
With over 50 embedding options, Vixy YouTube Embed does everything any other WordPress plug-in does, and a lot of things they don't.
- Set size of video, controls, other behaviors via profiles or inline commands.
- Includes download links option.
- Build your own playlists and play them back however you want
- XHTML and HTML5 compliant - works with all the latest browsers
- Multiple embedding methods available - OBJECT, IFRAME, CHROMELESS and EmbedPlus
- Dynamic video sizing for responsive sites
- Allow users to add videos to comments
- Automatically generate playlists based on user name or search text
- Create multiple profiles - use them for different videos to get the exact style that you want
- Google compatible metadata is added to the video output - great for SEO!
- Code is cached for maximum performance
- Using a different YouTube plugin? Documentation and tools are provided to help you migrate to Vixy YouTube Embed
- Fully internationalized ready for translations. If you would like to add a translation to his plugin then please contact us
- Support for Do Not Track
- Compatible with Video SEO for WordPress
- And much, much more!
Download links under each video gives you an opportunity to earn generous affiliate commissions from [Jaksta.com]("http://jaksta.com" Jaksta.com), a powerful video download and conversion suite for PC and Mac. (Optional).
Vixy YouTube Embed has been rated 5/5 by ThemesPlugins.com.
Get Started Quickly
To add a video to a post or page simply use the shortcode
[youtube ]video[/youtube], where
video is the ID or URL of the video. Alternatively, you can add one (or more) widgets to your sidebar.
Within the administration area of your blog you will find a new menu named
YouTube (see screenshot 1). Click on the
Options sub-menu to set a number of general options. Alternatively click on the
Profiles sub-menu to set the default options which define the output of your videos - any videos you display (unless overridden by parameters - more on that later) will use the settings from the Profiles screen.
You can read read the Full Documentation to learn about all the capabilities of Vixy YouTube Embed. This also includes details on how to migrate from another embedding plugin.
Help is always available from the WordPress administration pages - just click on the "Help" button in the top right. If the Help and FAQ don't have an answer, ask us on the forum.
Not yet convinced? See the feature comparison between this and the top 10 alternative plugins for embedding YouTube videos.
New Technology Finds The Most Buzzed-About Parts Of Videos - SocialTimes.
Andesch tips on WordPress plugins! - Anders.
Critical Mass - Biking in Memphis.
Embedding YouTube Videos In Your WordPress Theme - FrogenYozurt.Com.
|Author||Applian Technologies Inc.
|Tags||admin, annotations, applian, Artiss, automatic, download, editor, embed, embedding, embedplus, flash, flv, google, HD, height, iframe, manage, media, page, play, playlist, plugin, Post, profile, responsive, search, seo, sidebar, simple, smart, url, user, valid, video, vixy, widget, width, xhtml, youtube, youtuber|
Vixy YouTube Embed is easy to install:
- Download the ZIP file containing the plug-in code.
- Unzip, and upload the entire youtube-embed folder to your wp-content/plugins/ directory.
- Activate the plug-in through the Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Make sure to enable the video download option. Go to the plug-in settings, and check "Enable Download Links".
That's it, you're done - you just need to add the shortcode wherever you need.
Note: If you're updating from version 2.0.1 or before, please read the FAQ on backwards compatibility.
- Enhancement: Allow user to specify video resolution required (experimental)
- Enhancement: Different languages can be specified for transcripts, other than the English default
- Enhancement: API enabled on scripts by default, allowing for third-party modification
- Enhancement: Can now add a link to YouTube under a video
- Maintenance: Removed adverts from administration screen
- Maintenance: Changed download bar default to be opt-in and re-worded option text
- Bug: Fixed menu options shown in admin bar
- Maintenance: Updated links to point to instructions on Vixy.net website
- Enhancement: Validate download bar code to ensure it's secure
- Enhancement: Passing blog language to language bar for i18n
- Maintenance: Changed name, updated adverts, removed donation and sponsorship requests
- Maintenance: Renamed function to match new name and also removed prefix from files, which were not required
- Maintenance: Checked and updated all help URLs
- Maintenance: Removed about and instruction pages which were felt were no longer needed
- Maintenance: Updated icons
- Enhancement: Updated download links to use code from Vixy. This is now switched on by default
- Enhancement: Added option to provide an affiliate ID for use with the download bar - blog owners can make 30% from sales generated
- Enhancement: Simplified the menu access rules which has resulted in resolving a number of existing issues
- Bug: Fixed PHP error when allowing shortcodes in widgets
- Maintenance: Using new website for video download link
- Maintenance: README updated with new compatibility details and modified FAQs
- Bug: Fixed a bug where some option screen text was not displaying
- Bug: Fixed the feature pointer, which was no longer working
- Enhancement: Added profile options to allow you to switch on video download link, as well as style the output
- Bug: Fixed bug in uninstall routine
- Enhancement: Replaced user of print_r in cache key generator with serialize, as this can cause problems with some hosting configurations
- Bug: Fixed minimised script that adds editor button
- Bug: Updated broken advert links
- Bug: Fixed link in admin bar when using WP 3.1 - 3.3
- Bug: Removed un-necessary cookie update that was causing errors in some situations
- Maintenance: Updated WP 3.3+ admin bar options to correctly reflect permissions, naming and ordering of equivalent admin menu
- Bug: Fixed a bug that means videos have zero width on new installations until the default profile is updated (thanks to Aidan from Noise Republic for reporting that)
- Bug: Corrected URLs pointing to help screens
- Bug: Resolved issue where translated IDs were not corrected if included in a URL (thanks to kchayka for reporting that)
- Bug: Fixed problem where video ID is not found in full URL if not specified first (thanks to christopherw for reporting that)
- Bug: Modest branding profile switch wasn't doing anything - the option was hard-coded on. Now corrected
- Bug: User defined error message now decodes correctly (thanks to kchayka for reporting that)
- Bug: No longer caches the video output if a random playlist has been selected
- Maintenance: Updated advertisement engine code
- Maintenance: Renamed README menu to Instructions
- Maintenance: Assorted on-screen wording improvements
- Maintenance: Removed title option as it's un-supported
- Maintenance: Updated the uninstall routine
- Maintenance: Cleaned code and updated translation files
- Enhancement: Added Do Not Track compatibility. Once active, if user has Do Not Track in use then cookies will not be stored
- Enhancement: New option to specify the shortcode that the editor button uses. A cookie is used to store this
- Enhancement: New option to switch on shortcodes in widgets. This will allow all shortcodes in widgets, though, not just those for this plugin
- Enhancement: Reviewed and updated access right to admin screen. Added option to choose what level has access to profiles and/or lists screen
- Enhancement: Many functions were only activated if user was not in Administration screens. However, using AJAX on your site triggers the administration flag and, hence, the functions would not work. Changed this
- Enhancement: Added option to modify access to Profile and Lists screen
- Enhancement: Improved the cache clearing option and statistics
- Enhancement: Reflected on profile screen that modest branding now works with HTML5 player
- Enhancement: Added option to thumbnail output to suppress the link, so that you can add your own
- Enhancement: Updated "Controls" option to support new third parameter and update definitions. Ensured backwards compatibility with old parameter options
- Maintenance: Restricted access to Options and Profiles screen to administrators
- Bug: Fixed bug which caused errors to be generated on new installations of plugin
- Enhancement: Set a default width if the
content_widthglobal variable is set to zero
- Maintenance: Updated sponsorship - now includes option to switch off if user has donated
- Maintenance: Updated options screen to reflect the fact that the
colorparameters are now supported by the HTML5 player
- Maintenance: Updated options screen to show that the
infoparameter, if used alongside a playlist will show thumbnails of the videos
- Maintenance: Removed redundant GA code, which was never used
- Maintenance: Combined scripts
- Bug: Fixed internationalisation
- Bug: Fixed output of video information on the Lists option screen
- Bug: Modified cache key so that length does not exceed MySQL field maximum
- Bug: Added close anchor for media meta - causes unclosed anchor under IE9 (thanks to Marcel Bootsman for identifying this)
- Bug: Responsive video was not working on a demonstration video in Profile screen
- Bug: Fixed bug that prevented some fields in options screens to not save
- Bug: Fixed further issues with the widget code (thanks to Rose-Anne Constantineau for reporting it and helping me test the result)
- Maintenance: Improved some of the internationalisation texts
- Maintenance: Neatened up some of the code output
- Bug: Fixed a bug where widgets weren't showing single videos (thanks to Josh Callaghan for reporting this)
- Bug: Fixed a bug with Admin Bar when using WP 3.1 - 3.3 (thanks to Carl D'Halluin for finding this)
- Maintenance: Updated code to work with new playlist options
- Maintenance: Removed embedded URL option due to issues with existing code (see FAQ for details)
- Maintenance: Added further FAQs based on common forum queries
- Maintenance: Wording on options screens changed to better identify differences between players
- Maintenance: Added advertisement to profile screen
- Maintenance: Modified demonstration video and made sponsorship request more visible
- Maintenance: Changes the YouTube admin screen icon
- Enhancement: Download link now uses deturl.com
- Enhancement: Admin Bar link improved in WP 3.3 onwards
- Enhancement: New user upload and search features added
- Enhancement: Now supports ability to specify the time to stop video playback
- Enhancement: Default windowing mode changed to improve performance
- Enhancement: FRAMEBORDER is switchable for the purpose of HTML5 compatibility
- Enhancement: Added internationalisation
- Enhancement: README in admin menu now shows the corresponding README for the version of the plugin you have installed, rather than the latest one
- Enhancement: Added option to admin screen to clear video cache (see FAQ for details)
- Enhancement: Allow recursive shortcodes - that is, shortcodes within the YouTube shortcode
- Bug: Fixed bug in retrieving the video title
- Bug: Resolved various debug messages
- Maintenance: Removed dashboard widget
- Maintenance: Re-sequenced the changelog in the README
- Maintenance: Removed drop shadow option
- Maintenance: Re-design of widgets, reducing number of parameters down to make it easier to use - use profiles to modify missing parameters
- Maintenance: Updated YouTube icons
- Enhancement: Added frameborder="0" to IFRAME code
- Enhancement: Added Privacy-Enhanced mode. Doesn't work with Chromeless player.
- Enhancement: Added
titleoption, so you can name the video
- Enhancement: Added
ssloption, allowing you to override whether HTTP or HTTPS is used for the video
- Enhancement: Added
dynamicoption (and matching Profile switch) to allow users to request dynamically resizing video (responsive). Additional option to allow specified width to be maximum
- Enhancement: Made
modestbrandinga switchable option (switchable in profile options but not on video-by-video basis) due to issues with Apple devices
- Enhancement: Improved matching of URL embedded into post
- Enhancement: If you have the README Parser plugin installed then a new sub-menu will display the README instructions
- Enhancement: Use WP 3.3 Feature Pointer to highlight new menu when plugin is activated
- Bug: Ensure
showinfoparameter is set correctly
- Bug: If width or height is missing from Profile screen then fill it in based on widescreen format. Otherwise, causes video to break
- Bug: Video information was being fetched from caching even if option selected to switch it off. Fixed!
- Maintenance: Removed the sponsorship
- Enhancement: Editor button will add text between shortcodes if no URL or ID is specified
- Enhancement: Square brackets are stripped from alternative shortcodes on option screen - text added to warn against this too
- Enhancement: Added Chromeless player option
- Enhancement: Increased maximum output length of profile and list names to 30 characters
- Bug: Fixed incorrect listing of long profile or list names
- Bug: Fixed INCLUDE bug in widgets.php
- Maintenance: Updated dashboard widget to latest version
- Maintenance: Added advertising banners to options screen - these can be turned off if you donate
- Enhancement: Replace WP_PLUGIN_URL with plugins_url()
- Enhancement: Added H and W as alternative shortcode parameters to HEIGHT and WIDTH
- Enhancement: Editor button should appear for anyone from editor role upwards
- Enhancement: Removed maximum length from profile and list names. However, only first 20 characters will appear in lists
- Enhancement: New option to switch API options (where HTTP or HTTPS, display messages or not or even switch off)
- Enhancement: Output video playback errors as XHTML comments. Output to post a generic message which can be changed in the options
- Enhancement: Video information is shown in lists screen when first entering (no need to press Save button to display)
- Enhancement: Added new
colorparameter, which allows you to specify the color of the progress bar
- Enhancement: Added new
themeparameter, allowing you to specify if the player is dark or light skinned
- Enhancement: Added new
httpsparameter, allowing you to use HTTPS instead of HTTP for the video display
- Enhancement: Added new
versionparameter to thumbnails, allowing different versions (including a high resolution one) to be displayed
- Enhancement: Added new administration option to allow the thumbnail used in RSS feeds to be specified
- Enhancement: Log the current plugin version into the database. This may be of use in future upgrades to detect which version the user is upgrading from
- Bug: Fixed video title no longer being fetched since 2.0.3 (because of using v2 of API)
- Bug: Fixed some error output - due to changes made in an earlier release some errors would not display
- Enhancement: Removed HTTPS access to gdata API - will add a switchable option for this in a later release
- Enhancement: Decode any passed
templateparameters, as WP may have encoded the content first
- Enhancement: Improved file handling
- Enhancement: Now using HTTPS and version 2 of YouTube gdata API
- Enhancement: New general option to switch off reporting of API errors - will simply accept ID and work out type
- Maintenance: Added details to the README to cover issues with
stylebackwards compatibility and YouTube API
- Enhancement: Strip tags from video ID, in case any have crept in
- Enhancement: Tidied some of the widget controls
- Enhancement: You can now specify YouTube short URLs as video IDs
- Bug: Removed reference to jscolor.js script, which isn't used
- Bug: Video IDs beginning with numbers are being confused with list numbers
- Bug: Corrected problem with random single videos being picked from a list
- Bug: Fixed problem with list where one video was being ignored and another repeated
- Bug: Modified widget code to allow for all states to be allowable. Defaults updated
- Bug: YouTube documentation states that if you don't specify the fullscreen parameter it will default to off. It doesn't. Corrected in the code
- Enhancement: Changed cache key encoding so that it was compatible with PHP 4
- Enhancement: Added autoplay option to EmbedPlus
- Enhancement: Re-instated
styleoption, allowing you to apply a direct set of CSS elements to the output - a requirement if you wish to add a border to the video, for instance
- Maintenance: Updated screens and documentation to show the
startparameter works with EmbedPlus
- Bug: Fixed incorrect caching of options - was only changing if override parameters were modified
- Bug: Video Information Cache will no longer reset to zero if the Embed cache is greater
- Bug: Added random ID to EmbedPlus output to resolve a bug that can affect IE users
- Maintenance: Renamed to Artiss YouTube Embed from YouTube Embed
- Maintenance: Major re-write, using new coding standards
- Maintenance: AS3 player is now used, AS2 has been retired
- Maintenance: Compliancy and browser checked - XHTML and HTML5 compliant and works in all the latest browsers
- Maintenance: README completely re-written, contextual help added to admin screens and links to further information
- Enhancement: New administration screens, introducing multiple profiles and playlists
- Enhancement: Both OBJECT and IFRAME versions can be selected
- Enhancement: Migration options added, allowing compatibility with other similar plugins
- Enhancement: Can now specify full video URL as well as video ID
- Enhancement: No need to use separate shortcode for playlists, as they are automatically detected. Video IDs are also now validated
- Enhancement: Options to allow YouTube URLs not within shortcodes to be accepted, as well as in comments
- Enhancement: RDFa metadata added to code output
- Enhancement: Caching of code and ID checking to improve performance
- Enhancement: Templating system replaces CSS specification
- Enhancement: Improved editor button and link added to admin bar
- Enhancement: Many, many more changes - too many to list!
- Enhancement: Added clone of 'youtube' shortcode, called 'youtube_video'
- Enhancement: Editor now has YouTube button, which inserts the YouTube shortcode (this can be switched off in the options screen)
- Enhancement: Added new option to disable keyboard controls
- Enhancement: Added option to supply a ratio, in case height or width are not supplied - the missing parameter will then be calculated
- Enhancement: Option to create a download link (for video and playlist) using function call or shortcode
- Enhancement: You can now change on the options screen which set of parameters the demonstration video uses (i.e. "normal" or EmbedPlus). This allows you to try your options on a different video type without switching to it.
- Enhancement: Added keyboard disable option
- Bug: Fixed bug which meant that people upgrading from previous versions may not be able to display video until they've been to the options screen and re-saved their default options
- Enhancement: HD option is available with EmbedPlus - updated the admin and widget screen to reflect this
- Maintenance: Tidied up code
- Enhancement: Now supports multiple widgets - widget code completely re-written
- Enhancement: Support for EmbedPlus added
- Enhancement: Added option to suppress links back to YouTube
- Enhancement: Added functions and shortcodes for returning and outputting available transcripts
- Enhancement: New widget option to specify title
- Enhancement: Added transparency option so that videos won't cover up layers
- Enhancement: Minor changes to the XHTML code to prevent warnings from certain validators
- Maintenance: Updated test video on options screen, as previous one had been removed
- Maintenance: Confirmed WP 3.0 compatibility
- Enhancement: Resulting XHTML code is better formatted, with comments identifying code location
- Initial release
A full list of FAQs can be found on the Vixy.net website.