Todayish in History
Shows a list of links to posts from previous years on or near this date, 1 per year. Provides a function to use in a theme, as well as a widget
If your blog posts from the same time of year are relavant each and every year, then this is the plugin for you. Todayish In History shows a list of links to blog posts from your blog which were posted in previous years at about the same date as today.
The plugin is named Todayish because if there isn't a blog post from today's date in previous years it will use the blog post which is the least number of days away from todays date.
Todayish in History provides a function for use in themes as well as a widget for use in your sidebar.
|Tags||history, theme, widget|
- Unzip the todayish_in_history.zip file to the
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
If you want to use the widget:
- Place the Todayish In History in a sidebar using the WordPress Widgets tool in the Appearence menu
- Change the settings if desired
If you want to use Todayish In History in your theme:
<?php todayish_in_history(); ?>
in your template
You can optionally set the following parameters
- parameter (default,type) -- Description
- limit (100,int) -- How many years of history to show
- title (Todayish In History,string) -- The title displayed next to the dropdown
- class (horizontal,css legal string) -- The class added to the outermost div for styling purposes
- width (200px,valid css width) -- How wide should the dropdown be.
- iswidget (FALSE,boolean) -- If TRUE adds class 'widgettitle' to h2 widget title
- 'max_days_off' (int/365) The max number of days away from today's date to search
- 'range' (bool/FALSE) Use the fixed range_start/range_stop fields?
- 'range_start' (int/0) Start year in fixed range
- 'range_stop (int/date('Y')) Stop year in fixed range
By default the dropdown drops directly down, and titles too wide for the drop-down are truncated. To change this behavior so that the dropped-down list is as wide as it needs to be, see the comment in todayish_in_history.css
Added option to use fixed date range. Added option to limit proximity to current date -- eg. Only show posts from previous years within 30 days of today.
Fix to use sidebar's title size instead of hard coded h2. Added !important to commented out CSS that enabled full text links to appear.
- Welcome to Todayish In History
What's a use case for this thing?
I am entering my 3rd year of garden blogging. Every year the same types of things are applicable in the same season of the year. Other seasonal topics like hunting, fishing, sports, etc. may also find this sort of thing useful.