Tabify Edit Screen
Enable tabs in the edit screen and manage them from the back-end.
When you've got lots of post meta-boxes, your post edit screen can become difficult to search. Make your post edit screen easier to navigate and manage by creating a set of tabs, with the Tabify Edit Screen plugin. And manage it all from the WordPress back-end!
The plugin is still in active development, and I'm always looking for ways to improve it.
There are still lots of things changing in the code base. There are some hooks you can use but they can change from implementation till 1.0. I will always try to maintain backwards-compatible but till 1.0 I can't be sure for that.
|Tags||admin, edit, page, Post, posts, tabs|
- Upload the folder
- Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress
- Go to the Settings -> Tabify edit screen to enable tabs for a specific post type
0.6 ( 2013-02-24 )
- Complete rewrite of settings screen. Most of HTML is now in the base class
- All unattached metaboxes will be moved to the last tab
- Fix setting current tab when editing a post
- Added some extra string escaping
Specify screen icon
Added French translation by Jean-Christophe Brebion
- Updated Dutch translation
0.5.3 ( 2013-01-07 )
- Fix issue that meta boxes are unchecked in screen options
0.5.2 ( 2012-12-31 )
- Default tabs was broken
0.5.1 ( 2012-12-31 )
- Move tabs to top again. That is the default state
0.5 ( 2012-12-31 )
- Improved deleting a tab from the setting screen
- Fix bugs caused when deleting a tab and moving metaboxes to different tabs
- Make CSS more explicit so that plugins like ACF don't show up on first load. (Thanks elliotcondon)
- Ability to place the tabs under the title input field with the filter 'tabify_tab_location' and passing 'after_title'
- Add body class for tab location
- Fix update settings and adding slashes to the title
- Removing several referenced hooks
- Fix some notices on edge cases
Also created a repository for a forked Types that works with this plugin: https://github.com/markoheijnen/types/tree/use-hook-add_meta_boxes
0.4.1 ( 2012-11-9 )
0.4 ( 2012-11-9 )
- Complete fresh new UI for the settings screen
- Fix possible bug for not showing author metabox in the settings screen
- Fix notice on edit screen when no items where inside a tab
- Fix issue that not all post types are showing
- Now able to hide a metabox as an user and that the plugin will listen to that. Thank Elles for nagging me about to fix that ;)
- Ability to remove plugin support and isn't on by default anymore. Can be enabled with the filter "tabify_plugin_support"
- Added plugin support for Members and WordPress SEO. (Thanks sc0ttkclark for his help )
Added Dutch translation
Ability to modify tabs through the filter tabify_tabs
- Ability to add more tab support like post types with the filter 'tabify-edit-screen-settings-tabs'
- Ability to add more options with the action 'tabify-settings-posttype' and filter 'tabify-settings-update'
- Add support for the plugin "Types"
- Removed the filter tabify_default_metaboxes_$posttype and changed it for the action tabify_add_meta_boxes
- Make the tab title translatable with tabify-edit-screen-tab as domain
- Removed duplicated code
- Added security checks on the setting screen
- Create a new tab now also works on all post types
- When you save the changes you go back to the selected tab. This also work for the edit screens
- You can now delete a tab when all the metaboxes are removed and the title is empty. Will be improved in later version
- New metaboxes will always be showed in the setting page
- The setting page now can be changed from a touch device
- Fix issue where you couldn't move metaboxes in a new created tab
- First version to show people the possibilities
Can you define metaboxes that will always be visible?
At this moment the title and submit box are always visible. You can change this by using the following filters: * tabify_default_metaboxes - $defaults, $post_type * tabify_default_metaboxes_$post_type - $defaults
Can I place the tabs under the title input field?
Yes, you can use the filter 'tabify_tab_location' and passing the value 'after_title' to it. You can also check on the second argument what the location is. Now always 'posttype'
Can it work with Types, WordPress SEO or Members
Yes, it can work with those plugins trough a filter. Their plugins using weird auto load magic or have extra checks that will not be run on our settings page.
add_filter( 'tabify_plugin_support', '__return_true' );
What happen with new metaboxes
At this moment new metaboxes are places on the last tab. You can go to the settings screen to reorder the metabox. You can change which tab it should go like with meta boxes that don't show up like Types or WordPress SEO. You do this with the filter 'tabify_unattached_metaboxes_index'.