Really simple Facebook Twitter share buttons
Puts Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google "+1", Pinterest, Tumblr and other share buttons of your choice above or below your posts.
This plugin shows Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google "+1", Pinterest and other popular share buttons above or below your posts. Easy customization of active buttons and position in the Settings menu.
In contrast to several other sharing plugin, this one aims to use only original code provided by any social network. There is no other service in the middle, you are not required to register or get a key to use it. Enjoy!
Facebook Like, Twitter and Google +1 share buttons are loaded by default.
Other buttons, including Digg, Facebook Send, Flattr, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Google Buzz, Stumbleupon, Hyves, Email, Reddit, Tipy, Tumblr, Buffer, Pinzout (and the deprecated Facebook Share button) can be added through the
Settings->Really simple share menu.
Please be careful when selecting the
Show buttons in these pages options : it can interact badly with other slide/fade/carousel/sidebar active plugins.
If you want to place the active buttons only in selected posts, use the [really_simple_share] shortcode.
If you want to place only one share button, add the button attribute to the shortcode, e.g.:
- [really_simple_share button="facebook_like"]
- [really_simple_share button="twitter"]
- [really_simple_share button="linkedin"]
- [really_simple_share button="pinterest"] (only displays if there is at least one picture in the post or page)
- [really_simple_share button="google1"]
- [really_simple_share button="digg"]
- [really_simple_share button="stumbleupon"]
- [really_simple_share button="reddit"]
- [really_simple_share button="flattr"]
- [really_simple_share button="tumblr"]
- [really_simple_share button="facebook_share"]
- and so on...
Please note that in order to place single share buttons, they have to be active in the plugin settings page.
If you want to hide the share buttons inside selected posts, set a "really_simple_share_disable" custom field with value "yes".
New in version 2.9:
- Pinterest button complete rewrite
- Pinterest button fallback: when no media is found, shows the multiple image selector
- Code cleaning
For more info on this plugin: http://www.whiletrue.it
Do you like this plugin? Give a chance to our other works:
|Tags||+1, buffer, buzz, Digg, email, Facebook, facebook share, facebook share button, flattr, google +1, google buzz, hyves, linkedin, links, mail, page, pinterest, pinzout, Post, Reddit, shortcode, stumbleupon, tipy, tumblr, twitter, twitter share, twitter share button|
Sample content, activating the Facebook Share and Twitter buttons
Options available in the Settings menu
Best is to install directly from WordPress. If manual installation is required, please make sure to put all of the plugin files in a folder named
really-simple-facebook-twitter-share-buttons (not two nested folders) in the plugin directory, then activate the plugin through the
Plugins menu in WordPress.
- Fixed: Twitter little bug, showed weird text on some websites
- Added: Pinterest image hover button
- Changed: Pinterest async code and cleanup
- Added: WhileTrue RSS Feed
- Added: CSS layout classes "really_simple_share_box" and "really_simple_share_button" for easier styling
- Changed: Little translations cleaning
- Changed: Little display cleaning
- Changed: Little default options cleaning
- Changed: Little translations cleaning
- Added: New
really_simple_share_boxCSS class for box layout
- Added: New
really_simple_share_buttonCSS class for button layout
- Fixed: Pinterest box layout vertical offset
- Fixed: Pinterest post image search only when in loop
- Fixed: Email button image theme-aware CSS style
- Changed: Pinterest button complete rewrite
- Changed: Pinterest button fallback: when no media is found, shows the multiple image selector
- Changed: Code cleaning
- Fixed: Flattr button height issue while showing in box size
- Fixed: Facebook Like button Html5 code locale and action (like/recommend)
- Added: Facebook app ID setting for the Facebook Like button (recommended)
- Added: Facebook Like button Html5 code (recommended if your theme supports it)
- Added: support for translations
- Added: Italian translation
- Changed: CSS improvement on the block surrounding the buttons
- Added: Multi language support: if the WPML plugin is active, language is set automatically for each button
- Changed: Pinterest button update (please clear cache on update)
- Added: Pinzout button
- Added: Comments RSS Feed button
- Changed: improved CSS file with iframe border cleaning
- Changed: new default options (Google +1 enabled by default)
- Fixed: code cleaning and better assets inclusion
- Happy new year 2013!
- Added: Facebook Share button text customization
- Fixed: php code notices
- Changed: different file inclusion code
- Fixed: Facebook Like button width fix
- Fixed: "Missing Title Tags" error solved for the PinIt image selection iframe
- Added: shortcode single button options
- Changed: screenshots moved outside, reducing the size of the plugin and allowing for faster updates
- Changed: separate images folder, for plugin structure cleaning
- Changed: Pinterest multiple image selector made optional (doesn't work in some environments)
- Added: Pinterest multiple image selector (thanks Stephen Baugh)
- Changed: Google Buzz button removed (Google dropped support to it)
- Fixed: apply shortcode to content before adding the buttons (thanks Stephen Baugh)
- Fixed: Force https protocol whenever possible
- Fixed: better style file inclusion and small code cleaning
- Fixed: Email button url cleaning
- Fixed: Better special characters in url handling
- Fixed: Facebook Like foreign languages support
- Added: Tumblr button (basic support: no display option)
- Added: Facebook Share button back again in a new limited version (no counter, no style), facing its dropped support by Facebook
- Changed: Facebook Share button removed (Facebook dropped support to it)
- Fixed: Facebook Send locale, broken in the 2.5.2 update
- Changed: Possibility to set a custom title in the publish function, leaving the default link (thanks Arvid Janson)
- Changed: Facebook Send button code update and style cleaning
- Fixed: Little php code cleaning
- Added: Optional related Twitter usernames (comma separated) added to the follow list
- Added: Buffer button
- Fixed: Style cleaning for the prepend_above box
- Changed: Pinterest button is shown if some image is found in the post content, even if it's not a thumbnail or an attachment
- Fixed: Google+ and Pinterest buttons broken in previous updates
- Changed: Little code cleaning
- Fixed: The option to disable buttons on excerpts now correctly disables only the plugin
- Fixed: Facebook Like box height
- Fixed: Pinterest button broken in 2.4 and 2.4.1 while recognizing images in posts
- Changed: Little code redundancy cleaning
- Added: Facebook share button counter customization
- Added: Option to disable buttons on excerpts
- Changed: CSS Style improvements (button vertical alignment, removed redundant code)
- Changed: Removed redundant spaces (sometimes breaking the button alignment)
- Fixed: If button width is not set, use the default value
- Fixed: For Pinterest, now check the existence of the function has_post_thumbnail
- Added: Pinterest button (basic support: only shows if there is some media, links to the thumbnail or to the first media attachment)
- Added: Language basic support for some buttons
- Changed: More compact and effective Settings page
- Changed: Update on Google +1 button code
- Added: Option to put a line of text above the buttons, e.g. 'If you liked this post, say thanks sharing it:'
- Added: Option to put an inline short text just before the buttons, e.g. 'Share this!'
- Added: Option to put scripts at the bottom of the body, to increase page loading speed
- Added: Option to enable/disable adding the author of the post to the Twitter follow list
- Added: Little performance improvements
- Added: Button arbitrary positioning via drag&drop
- Added: Arbitrary spacing for every button
- Added: Twitter post author customization (thanks Vincent Oord - Springest.com)
- Added: Wordpress link customization (default permalink and shortlink available)
- Added: Email button label
- Added: Class "robots-nocontent" and "snap_nopreview" given to the element surrounding the buttons
- Added: Some code cleaning
- Fixed: Twitter share button title cleaning (thanks Harald)
- Fixed: Removed the standard "Tweet" text from the link inside the Twitter button, to avoid its occasional presence in the summaries (thanks David)
- Added: Tipy button
- Changed: better email icon (thanks Jml from Argentina)
- Added: Linkedin button counter customization
- Added: Separate stylesheet added, with an option to disable it
- Fixed: Flattr share button title cleaning (thanks Harald)
- Fixed: Flattr share button js api loading, tags loading and text linking
- Fixed: Flattr share button warning for posts without tags
- Added: Flattr share button
- Added: Box layout available for compatible buttons
- Fixed: Facebook Like button url encoded (thanks Radek Maciaszek)
- Added: Google +1 button width and counter customization
- Added: Google +1 share button
- Changed: admin page restyle
- Added: possibility to hide the Twitter button counter
- Added: possibility to use the "really_simple_share_publish" PHP function to publish the buttons inside the PHP code, for themes and other plugins
- Changed: single permalink and title loading, for better performance
- Fixed: css improvements
- Added: Facebook Like button new "Send" option (currently via FBML)
- Changed: admin css improvements
- Fixed: css improvements
- Fixed: more vertical space (for the current Facebook Like button)
- Changed: removed redundant
- Fixed: Digg button JS removed from the section
- Fixed: Email share button image absolute path
- Added: Reddit share button
- Added: Email share button
- Added: Possibility to position the buttons above and below the post content
- Fixed: PHP Notices
- Changed: [really_simple_share] shortcode works even when "really_simple_share_disable" is used (thanks to Chestel!)
- Added: "really_simple_share_disable" custom field, if set to "yes" hides share buttons inside post content
- Added: Facebook Like and Twitter button width customization via the options menu
- Added: [really_simple_share] shortcode, shows active share buttons inside post content
- Added: Hyves (the leading Duch social network) button
- Fixed: Twitter button fixed-width style for WPtouch compatibility
- Added: Facebook Like text customization (like/recommend)
- Fixed: Show in Search results
- Added: "Show in Search results" option
- Fixed: Twitter title button
- Added: Twitter additional text option, e.g. ' (via @authorofblogentry)'
- Changed: Settings display improvement
- Added: Digg and Stumbleupon share buttons
- Added: CSS classes for easy styling
- Fixed: Facebook share button
- Added: Facebook like button (Facebook share is still present but deprecated)
- Added: Google Buzz share button
- Fixed: Button positioning
- Changed: Save/retrieve options standardization
- Fixed: Button links
- Added: Active buttons option
- Added: Active locations (home page, single posts, pages, tags, categories, date based archives, author archives) option
- Added: LinkedIn share button
- Fixed: Uninstall
What's the difference between Facebook Like and Share buttons?
Facebook Like is the official Button actively supported by Facebook. On 18th July 2012 Facebook dropped support for the (old and long time deprecated) Share button, so this button has been removed from the plugin and replaced with an externali link with no counter.
Why users can't choose which image to share when using Facebook Like button ?
This is an automated Facebook behaviour: clicking Facebook Like the user can't choose each time which image to share, but you can set the right image inside the code using the Open Graph Tag og:image.
When I activate the plugin it messes up with other plugins showing post excerpts in different ways (fade, carousel, sidebar). What can I do?
Uncheck all the "Show buttons in these pages" options in the
Settings->Really simple share menu, except for "Single posts".
This way all the share buttons should disappear, except the one displayed beside the post in every Single post page.
Is it possible to modify the style/css of the buttons?
Yes, every button has its own div class (e.g. "really_simple_share_twitter") for easy customization inside the theme css files.
Plus, the div surrounding all buttons has its own class "really_simple_share".
If you want to override default styling of the buttons, check the
disable default styles option add your style rules inside your css theme file.
Is it possible to show the buttons anywhere inside my theme, using a PHP function?
Yes, you can call this PHP function:
<?php echo really_simple_share_publish($link='', $title=''); ?>
You can pass the share link and the title as parameters. You shouldn't leave the parameters blank, unless the code is put inside the WP loop. For example, use this code to create buttons linking to the website home page:
<?php echo really_simple_share_publish(get_bloginfo('url'), get_bloginfo('name')); ?>
Sometimes the Pinterest PinIt button doesn't appear in some posts.
The PinIt button requires some media to share, so it only shows up when the post contains at least one image.
I've cheched the "show counter" option in the Settings page, but sometimes the Pinterest PinIt button's counter doesn't appear.
The PinIt counter only appear if the post has been shared at least once. Also, the refresh time for the PinIt counter could be long.
How about other social networks?
- Reset default options
- Share buttons widget
- Multilanguage support
- New "report" button
- Counter for the "mail" button