Blubrry PowerPress Podcasting plugin
Blubrry PowerPress brings the essential features for podcasting to WordPress including full iTunes support, web audio/video media players and more.
Blubrry PowerPress brings the essential features for podcasting to WordPress. Developed by podcasters for podcasters, PowerPress offers full iTunes support, web audio/video media players and more.
PowerPress 4.0 includes the latest iTunes Specifications!
PowerPress 4.0 includes all of the latest Apple iTunes podcasting specifications. Don't be left behind, upgrade to PowerPress 4.0 today!
Currently Using PodPress?
Switching to PowerPress is seamless, just enable PowerPress then disable PodPress and you're done! Switching plugins is that easy! Visit Migrating from PodPress to PowerPress for details.
PowerPress Key Features
- HTML5 video support: Add both mp4 and webm media to each episode for maximum platform compatibility
- Full iTunes Support: Adds iTunes compliant podcast feeds to your WordPress blog.
- Integrated HTML5 and Flash Media Players: Audio/video web players with embed support from sites such as YouTube and Ustream.tv.
- Media Modifiers: Easily add, modify and remove podcasts form blog posts and pages.
- Migration tools: Quickly migrate from PodPress, Blogger or Movable Type without losing episodes.
- Multi-podcast support: Create separate podcasts by category (category casting) or by media format (Podcast Channels).
- Supported Media Formats: mp3, m4a, mp4, m4v, webm, ogg, oga, ogv, wma, ra, mp4a, m4v, mp4v, mpg, asf, avi, wmv, flv, swf, mov, divx, 3gp, midi, wav, aa, pdf, torrent, m4b, m4r, epub.
- *Media Statistics: Get FREE Blubrry Media Statistics from your WordPress dashboard.
- Languages supported: English, Danish, French, Simplified Chinese, Italian (Want to translate PowerPress?)
*The Blubrry basic statistics service is FREE. Our Premium Statistics Service, which includes U.S. downloads, trending and exporting, is available for $5 month.
Full iTunes Support
iTunes can make up between 50 and 95 percent of a podcaster's audience. PowerPress comes with the following iTunes specific features.
- iTunes compliant podcast feeds: The appropriate tags are added to your feeds so your iTunes listing looks great.
- Optimized iTunes Summary: Converts your blog post content to a format suited for viewing in iTunes (learn more)
- Upload iTunes Artwork: Upload and change your iTunes artwork directly from within PowerPress settings.
- iTunes podcasting specifications fully supported.
Integrated Media Players
Blubrry PowerPress includes extensive web player options to display your podcast audio and video in your web pages.
- 6 Audio Players: Pick from 6 audio players including the popular 1 Pixel Out Player and HTML5 audio player.
- 3 Video Players: Pick between HTML5 video, Flow Player Classic Flash player or VideoJS.
- Position player above or below your post content or use the
[powerpress]shortcode and position the player where you want.
- Place the player exactly where you want by adding the [powerpress] shortcode tag directly in your post content.
- Add video embeds from sites such as YouTube, Viddler, Blip.tv and Ustream.tv.
- Provides download, play in new window and embed links.
- Formats supported: mp3, m4v, mp4, m4a, webm, ogg, ogv, oga, wma, mov, pdf, swf, avi, mpeg, epub and more.
Integrates with Blubrry's Services
Make your life easier by adding our FREE or paid services to streamline your podcast productivity.
- Quickly access your Blubrry media download statistics from your WordPress dashboard.
- Publish Blubrry hosted media directly from your blog.
- View Blubrry hosting usage quota from your blog.
- Configure how Blubrry writes media (ID3) tags within PowerPress settings.
The Blubrry basic statistics service is FREE. Our Premium Statistics Service, which includes U.S. downloads, trending and exporting, is available for $5 month. Blubrry Media Hosting packages start at $12.
Want more? Check out the advanced features.
- Embeds! Provide embeds your audience can take with them (just like YouTube embeds)
- Media size and duration detection: Enter your media URL and let the PowerPress do the rest.
- Category Casting: Add podcast support to your WordPress category feeds.
- Custom Podcast Channels: Distribute multiple formats (audio/video) and versions (short/full length).
- Tag/Keyword Podcast Feeds (Tag Casting): Add iTunes compliant attributes to your tag feeds.
- FeedBurner Support: Use FeedBurner.com to host your podcast feeds.
- *User Role Management: Control which users in your blog can podcast.
- **Custom Post Types: Use the new Custom Post Types feature found in WordPress 3.0
- Diagnostics: Check to see if your server is configured to support all of the available features in PowerPress.
- WordPress MultiSite: Blubrry PowerPress is compatible with WordPress MultiSite (Previously WordPress MU)
*User Role Management requires a separate plugin to manage WordPress Roles and Capabilities.
**Custom Post Types feature requires a separate plugin to manage custom post types.
Migrating from PodPress or "Podcasting Plugin by TSG"?
We made it easy to switch to PowerPress.
- Install and enable PowerPress
- Disable previous podcasting plugin
PowerPress will continue where plugin your old plugin left off by including your previously created episodes in your feeds and web pages.
Please visit Migrating from PodPress to PowerPress for specific details.
. . . or have some ideas that could improve the plugin?
- Visit the Blubrry Community Forum and Blubrry Resources
- Use the Blubrry Contact Us form
- Blubrry PowerPress Documentation
- Check out The Podcasting Manual - everything you need to know about podcasting
PowerPress is developed and maintained by Blubrry, a podcasting company and community providing tools and resources for podcasters to measure, monetize, publish and host podcasts. Although we'd like you to become a member of Blubrry, no membership is required to use this free open source podcasting plugin.
|Contributors||Angelo Mandato, Blubrry.com|
|Tags||audio, blip.tv, blubrry, Buzzsprout, CastMyBlog, dashboard, embed, enclosure, episodes, feed, feedburner, flash, flv, id3, iphone, iTunes, m4v, media, mediacaster, mp3, MP4, MTR, MU, multi-site, multisite, music, player, plugin, podcast, podcast.de, podcaster, podcasting, podlove, Post, posts, rss, rss2, seriously simple podcasting, simple, simple podcasting, social, statistics, stats, TSG, ustream, viddler, video, webm, wordpress MU, wordpressmu, WP-boxCast, youtube, zune|
To install Blubrry PowerPress manually, follow these steps: 1. Copy the entire directory from the downloaded zip file into the /wp-content/plugins/ folder. 2. Activate the "Blubrry PowerPress" plugin in the Plugin Management page. 3. Configure your Blubrry PowerPress by going to the Settings > Blubrry PowerPress page.
- PowerPress 3.0+ is not compatible with WordPress 2.8.x and 2.9.x. Please upgrade to WordPress 3.0 or newer to install PowerPress.
- Translation support is now complete. Please visit the following link if you would like to have a version in your language: http://create.blubrry.com/resources/powerpress/advanced-tools-and-options/translating-powerpress/
- Released on 4/19/2013
- PowerPress Version Updates Survey - please participate, only 4 questions!
- Blubrry Create site launched! Site includes our Podcasting Manual, Blubrry Resources and Support Options.
- Completely rewrote logic added in 4.0.7 to fix the conflict with Yoast Google Analytics plugin. This sholud solve the issues folks have been having when using this plugin with PowerPress.
- Flow Player Classic audio player height changed from 24 to 22 when Firefox detected, displays correctly in Firefox with this custom height.
- Added code to prevent possible "Empty delimiter" warning for strstr function calls in plugin.
- Added admin.php to
admin_url()function calls to get around issue when web hosting providers do not provide DirectoryIndex support for index.php files.
channelas an option to the powerpress shortcode to clear up confusion, this option was previously currently called
feedfor specifying a specific custom podcast channel.
- Changed logic for powerpress channel shortcode to always display the player and links even if no player configured in settings. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for pointing out the problem)
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_CUSTOM_CAPABILITY_TYPE, for setting an additional compatibility type other than "post" or "page". Only works for custom podcast channels, not the default podcast channel.
- Modified logic to allow smaller open in new window sizes, height can now be as small as 20 pixels and width can be as small as 50 pixels. Any values smaller than this will default to height of 20 pixels and width of 50 pixels. We still add 40px width and 80px height padding for scroll bars.
- Added new option "Do not factor in scroll bars" to the New Window settings. By default, PowerPress adds to the width and height above to compensate for possible vertical and horizontal scroll bars. Check this option if you do not want PowerPress to compensate for browser scroll bars.
- Fixed a notice message from PHP when error reporting set to include notices, only occurred when hosting configured.
- Added blubrry Podcast Media Hosting icon with link to disable icon from edit screen.
- Updated thickbox logic for compatibility with WordPress 3.6+.
- Added logic to stats redirect URL to prevent incorrect URLs from being used.
- Released on 2/14/2013
- The 1 Pixel Out player is back! Learn More
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_READ_TEXTto customize the 'Read' label for pdf/epub books.
- Player logic updated to display specific PDF/ePub images with links to the files.
- PDF image from Hybrid Design.
- ePub image from ThreePress.
- Calls to wp_remote_head now set to use HTTP 1.1 protocol (WordPress defaults to HTTP 1.0 for what ever reason. Thanks vinull for your bug fix!)
- Added support for Kindle Fire in the list of detected mobile HTML5 players. (Thanks Chris Bockay for bringing to our attention and helpnig us diagnose!)
- Added logic to fix the play in new window and embed links if Joost de Valk's Google Analytics for WordPress plugin has "Track outbound clicks & downloads" enabled.
- Added logic to the getid3 library to use the WordPress temp folder path rather than use the system detected path. This should fix the verify problems a small portion of folks have when the /tmp folder not being writable.
- Happy Valentines day!
- Released on 1/23/2013
- Everyone is strongly encouraged to update their copy of PowerPress immediately!
- Due to concerns of possible security exploits, the 1 Pixel Out Audio Player has been removed from PowerPress. Learn More
- Notices added in both the WP dashboard and in the Audio player settings page that the 1 Pixel Out player has been removed.
- If you've configured your web site with the 1 Pixel Out Audio Player, Flow Player Classic will be used. Go to the PowerPress > Audio Player settings page to change this player if you like.
- Updated Danish translation. Thanks GeorgWP and Team Blogos for translating!
- Added Russian translation. Thanks Igor Mercury for translating!
- Released on 11/28/2012
- Tested with WordPress 3.5 Release Candidate 1
- Updated button styling to fix styling issue for future release of WordPress 3.5
- Updated the "Plugins Update Cache" logic for WordPress versions 3.4+
- Updated link to add podcast to iTunes.
- Updated Danish translation. Thanks GeorgWP and Team Blogos for translating!
- Added define options
POWERPRESS_CAPABILITY_EDIT_PAGESfor administrators to customize PowerPress capabilities. (Thanks Kevin Doole for the contribution!)
- Updated videos for previewing the PowerPress video players.
- Added preview media for hosting customers when media is not yet published.
- Added logic to auto enable "fix theme" feature if JetPack 2.0 is used, solves issue where PowerPress player and links disappear using JetPack 2.0. (Thanks Brian from Handy Guys Podcast for diagnosing the problem)
is_objecttest in the
powerpress_contentfunction to prevent possible debug messages in development environments. (Thanks Curtis McHale for bringing to our attention)
- Added link to Message Flow plugin, adds a CoverFlow-like interface for your blog posts with podcast episodes. For podcasts only, use shortocde:
- Added warning about FeedBurner is not required to podcast and note that iTunes 1400x1400 jpg image should be 72ppi format for viewing on the web.
- Removed possible notice messages in the importing tools pages or when metabox option player or links is configured.
- Provide Embeds option now works no matter which players you configure. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for letting us know about the issue).
- Added better error message when users try to setup blubrry services integration.
- Added note under RSS Image to remind new users to also configure their iTunes image, which is very important.
- Added better explanation for the missing player fix option under the appearance tab.
- Removed mentions of Zune, that podcast directory is no longer available.
- Released on 8/8/2012
- Fix bug with language not getting set if your using the Feed Episode Maximizer option with WordPress 3.4 or newer.
- Released on 8/8/2012
- Fixed bug with IE not displaying embeds correctly (Thanks johnb172 for bringing to our attention)
- Fixed bug introduced in 4.0.2 where feed language was not getting set in some cases.
- Audio embed width now uses audio player width instead of video width.
- Added meta robots noindex HTML to play in new window and embed pages.
- Change from using the
plugins_url()function to better support sites in mixed SSL/non-SSL mode (please contact us if this is still a problem with combined HTTP/HTTPS sites).
- The iTunes image is now also used as the RSS image if no RSS image is specified.
- Warning message added to podcast channel feeds that are password protected. Warning: This feed is password protected, it cannot be accessed by public services such as feedvalidator.org or the iTunes podcast directory. (we're getting a lot of support questions about this recently. If your feed is is password protected, then services and directories can't access it by design.)
- Translation powerpress-xx_XX.pot file updated for translators to update their language files with.
- Released on 6/29/2012
- Fixed bug with feed language getting populated with podcast feed title.
- Changed feed logic from using
- Feed language logic for older versions of WordPress (versions < 3.4) remains for backwards compatibility.
- PowerPress the_content filter now checks for a valid post before trying to do anything. This logic is in place to deal with poorly written plugins triggering the_content filter even when no post is loaded.
- Updated logic for Custom Podcast Channels to work with WordPress 3.4+ Custom Post Types.
- Auto enable the "fix theme for player" option when Facebook plugin version 1.0 is found.
- Fixed a number of new PHP notice messages when in
WP_DEBUGmode. (Thanks Jeremy Clarke for bringing to our attention)
- Fix strpos getid3\module.tag.id3v2.php on line 876 PHP warning. (Thanks Zachary_DuBois for bringing to our attention)
- Added better reporting when paid services expire.
- Added index.php files to thwart directory listing powerpress folders with PHP scripts.
- Released on 6/15/2012
- Fixed bug with "Feed Episode Maximizer" option only working if the "Feature Episode in iTunes" option was also turned on.
- Added Hebrew to list of feed languages.
- Changed logic that prevented uploading iTunes images smaller than 1400x1400. You can now upload an iTunes image that is 600x600 or larger and will receive a warning rather than an error.
- Fixed bug with media embed HTML page having a fatal error if referencing an episode not originally saved by PowerPress.
- Increased verification (Verify button) cache from 600k to 1024k (1MB) for detecting ID3 information using 1400x1400 images. We recommend using images in jpg format as png requires way more space in most all cases.
- Added link to plugin PowerPress Posts From MySQL - Creates blog posts with PowerPress podcast episode information from a MySQL table.
- Added link to plugin Eli's PowerPress Addon Widget - Adds a sidebar widget that lists your podcast episodes linked to the play in a new window PowerPress player.
- Updated support links.
- Released on 5/11/2012
- New iTunes image requirements updated throughout plugin. RGB 1400x1400 jpg is recommended.
- Feed Episode Maximizer feature added, only applies to podcast channel feeds.
- Added VideoJS video player option, requires "VideoJS - HTML5 Video Player for WordPress" plugin to be installed and activated.
- Enhanced support for uploading RSS/iTunes images, the iTunes image upload now checks for 1400x1400 or larger jpg/png image in RGB color space.
- Notice message regarding new iTunes image requirements added to dashboard.
- Added .epub to list of file content types supported.
- iTunes image can now also be used as the RSS image.
- Additional information added to powerpress shortcode documentation.
- iTunes block episode feature added, requires following define in wp-config.php:
- iTunes block feed feature added, requires following define in wp-config.php:
- iTunes complete feed feature added, requires following define in wp-config.php:
- iTunes order episode feature added.
- Feature Episode in iTunes option added, allows you to put specific episode at the top of your iTunes podcast directory listing.
- ref=Nofollow tags added to play in new window, download and embed links.
- Fixed warning message when metamark's default row is removed and does not exist upon saving.
- Increased the performance of the podcast only and podcast channel feeds.
- Removed "new" from no longer new features.
- iTunes default image updated to 1400 x 1400.
- Released on 3/9/2012
- Fixed bug with lines 318 and 312 of powerpress.php when Feed Discovery option is enabled but custom podcast channels are not activated.
- Tweaked latest version of getid3 library so it is not as strict when detecting mp3 media with oversized or incorrect ID3 headers.
- Increased verification (
Verifybutton) cache from 400k to 600k for detecting ID3 information. This accommodates poster artwork in ID3 tags that exceeds 512K in size.
- Metamark duration and seconds can now be entered with colons to separate hour, minute and second. e.g. 1:23:45
- Metamark watermark labels for empty fields fixed when fields already existed.
- Updated Danish translation. Thanks GeorgWP and Team Blogos for translating!
- Released on 2/10/2012
- PowerPress now requires WordPress version 3.0 or newer.
- New Meta Marks feature learn more
- Media duration detection and verification now supports AAC .m4a audio and H.264 .mp4/.m4v video (in addition to mpeg3 .mp3). Media duration detection now requires PHP 5.0.5 or newer.
- Added new 'Disable Warnings' option for Podcast Entry Box. Errors are still displayed.
- Media verification (
Verifybutton) no longer warns if mp3 Channel mode is mono.
- Media verification (
Verifybutton) now verifies that the media URL's content type is valid when detecting duration information.
- Media verification (
Verifybutton) now displays the link to the media upon error so user can test URL manually.
- Media verification (
Verifybutton) now includes a more readable message when URL returns 404 file not found.
- Added new
Feed Discoveryoption, Adds "feed discovery" links to your web site's headers allowing web browsers and feed readers to auto-detect your podcast feeds.
- Removed iTunes update iTunes listing logic, it is pretty obvious Apple does not plan on restoring the ping which Apple took offline in February of 2011.
- Added warning in settings that podcast feed is invalid until create at least one podcast episode.
- Warning now displayed if a Media Embed is entered but no Media URL is present.
- Removed third party JSON library, no longer needed for WP versions 2.9+.
- Podcast Channels can now be associated with specific Custom Post Types of type 'post'.
- Added option to upload/change HTML5 audio and video play icons. Video play icon must be 60 x 60 pixels in size. Audio play icon has no size restrictions.
- Added link to WordPress Settings to PowerPress basic setings, This is to resolve the many complains we receive by new users who cannot find PowerPress settings menu.
- Fixed bug with ID3 tag writing feature not functioning correctly. (Thanks Dave from School of Podcasting for reporting the problem)
- Fixed bug detected latest versoin of iPad for displaying the HTML5 player.
- Flow Player Classic now displays full screen button when playing video.
- Romanian translation for v2.0.4+ added by Alexander Ovsov (Thanks Alexander!)
- Italian translation for v2.0.4+ by Umberto (thanks Umberto!)
- Fixed a number of PHP notice messages when in
WP_DEBUGmode. (Thanks Jeremy Clarke for introducing us to the Debug Bar plugin!)
- Released on 8/23/2011
- NOTE: There is no need to update to this version unless you can benefit from the bug fixes, changes or new Italian translation listed below.
- Added partially completed Italian translation. (Thanks Umberto!)
- Incremented supported WordPress version number.
- Changed action hook for
powerpress_admin_inithook to use '
admin_init' rather than 'init', an extra precaution in case other plugins invoke admin mode in WordPress.
- Disabled the
future_to_publishhook, the logic was there for pinging iTunes, which Apple took offline earlier this year.
- Fixed bug with "Display player and Link Options" setting not working in WordPress 3.2. (Thanks Cliff from GSPN.tv for reporting the problem)
- Fixed bug with Podcast Channels background color setting not appearing in edit post screen in WordPress 3.2.
- Changes made to support latest versions of jQuery.
- Released on 5/27/2011
- Fixed bug with Flash players configured with auto play in new window at the same time as auto-played HTML5 audio player (2 players playing at same time in new window problem).
- Fixed bug intruduced in PowerPress 2.0.1 where classic Quicktime and Windows Media player embeds failed when using
- Added new
POWERPRESS_FIX_WARNINGSdefine option, simply add
define('POWERPRESS_FIX_WARNINGS', true);to your wp-config.php if you see warning messages in your play in new window player.
- Fixed a handful of PHP notice messages when in
- Including version of WordPress in diagnostics report, diagnostic report found under Tools menu.
- Removed syndic8, AllPodcast, Podnova, Podcasts.com and Technorati from ping list in Tools. These services no longer have ping sites.
- Added new link for help for Blubrry Services Integration errors.
- Updated po files for translation.
- Released on 3/29/2011
- Fixed bug with Category Podcasting screen not displaying categories correctly. We are now calling the
wp_dropdown_categories()function with the appropriate parameters.
- Fixed fatal error
Call to undefined function powerpressplayer_get_extension()in dashboard when option 'Disable PowerPress Media Players and Links' is selected.
<!-- ... // -->within
- Added option under 'Video Player' Common Settings section for using the poster image, video player width and height for audio, applies to Flow Player only.
- Released on 3/13/2011
- Fixed bug where media links did not appear for theme functions
the_powerpress_content(). (Thanks Douglas for bringing to our attention)
- Fixed download link not appearing after saving settings in 2.0. Download link setting was not getting saved correctly.
- Fixed bug where player does not appear if PowerPress was previously in Simple Mode.
- Fixed bug with Verify button failing with HTTP error 302 or 301 when URL has more than 1 redirect.
POWERPRESS_EMBED_TEXTdefine option so the embed text can be changed. Just add
define("POWERPRESS_EMBED_TEXT", "Your Embed Text");above the include line in your wp-config.php.
- Restored quicktime as default player for m4a files, for those who need quicktime to display chapter info. To play m4a with FlowPlayerClassic/HTML5, go to PowerPress Settings > Appearance tab.
- Fixed FlowPlayerClassic scaling, video now maintains aspect ratio when displayed in player.
- Blubrry Community News now only shows latest video embed, all others minimized with small play button.
- Media statistics redirect URLs now applied to alternative webm URLs when specified with mp4/m4v video.
- Released on 3/7/2011
- PowerPress now requires WordPress version 2.8 or newer.
- HTML5 video player with Flow Player Classic fallback added
- HTML5 audio player with Flow Player Classic fallback added
- Embed Episode feature, embeds your audience can take with them (just like YouTube embeds)
- WebM video support added
- Ogg audio/video support improved
- For mp4/m4v video, a new alternative WebM URL field has been added. This is ideal for supporting all browser based HTML5 video players.
- Flow Player Classic can now play m4a audio and mp4/m4v video
- Elimation of Simple Mode
- Video default size is now 400 wide by 225 high (a 16:9 ratio)
- New Video Player settings page added
- Settings pages enhanced with new options such as location, frequency and T.V. options added
- Episode Entry box enhanced with new 'isHD' option when video entered into Media URL box
- Episode Entry box now includes option to configure video player width/height on a per-episode basis.
- New RawVoice RSS namespace added
- Player logic has been moved to powerpress-player.php, and a new option is available to disable player options completely. When player options disabled completely, the powerpress-player.php is not included in normal page loads.
- PowerPress updated to be able to import episodes from latest versions of PodPress (change made in February, 2011 in PodPress how episodes are stored in WordPress).
- New watarmarks added to Episode Entry Box for HH:MM:SS. Watermarks will be incorporated in additional fields in the future.
- iTunes Update Directory feature (pingPodcast) is slated for removal in next release. Apple no longer supports this feature. Read more here: Apple Drops iTunes Podcast Directory Update Listing/Ping (pingPodcast) Function
- Upload image option added to supplement the video poster image field. Images are uploaded to the built-in image gallery in WordPress.
- Option added to include play icon over poster image where applicable (such as HTML5 Video)
- Error message displayed if another plugin is including a different version of the getid3 library.
- New Blubrry PowerPress and Community Podcast added to welcome tab and dashboard.
- By default, media files with extension .ogg are treated as audio. Video ogg files should use the .ogv extension. If you wish to override this behavior, add the following define to your wp-config.php:
- Added define option
define('POWERPRESS_ENCLOSURE_FIX', true);that can be added to your wp-config.php to fix missing enclosures in feeds when using plugins such as WishList Member. (Thanks Patrick for helping us fix this issue)
- Fixed bug with download and play in new window text not getting translated for non-english languages. (Thanks infusiastic for bringing to our attention).
- Released on 1/10/2011
- Added additional support for the 'Podcasting' plugin's [podcast] shortcode. PowerPress will still add its player to the top/bottom of the page for backwards compatibility.
- Eliminated 2 other situations where warning messages would appear in some cases.
- Added Simplified Chinese translation to PowerPress. Thanks webmote for translating!
- Updated changelog to confirm to latest WordPress standards.
- Released on 12/8/2010
get_the_powerpress_all_players()functions for use in themes. Thanks Nicolas for contributing code!
- Added Danish translation to PowerPress. Thanks GeorgWP for translating!
- Added French translation to PowerPress. Thanks Aurelien Denis for translating!
- Added shortcode support for 'Podcasting' plugin's [podcast] shortcode.
- Fixed syntax bug on line 225 of powerpressadmin-jquery.php file.
- Fixed a number of warning and notice message when WP_DEBUG define set in WordPress (Some notices remain for WordPress 2.6/2.7 backward compatibility) (Thanks Jeremy for letting us know about the notices/warnings)
- Updated the itunes:subtitle feed tag logic so empty lines found at the front and end of an excerpt do not include ' - '.
- Fixed bug where
<a>tag was incorrectly ended when the Premium Content feature was enabled. (Thanks Kimberly for letting us know about the bug)
- Added warning message in PowerPress settings pages when incompatible plugins found.
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_DOWNLOAD_BYTE_LIMIToption for users using buggy versions of Adobe Audition beta who are having media verification errors "Could not find valid MPEG synch before end of file.". Simply add
define('POWERPRESS_DOWNLOAD_BYTE_LIMIT', 500000);near the top of your wp-config.php file.
- Released on 9/29/2010
- Fix bug introduced by the addition of Custom Post Type where Custom Podcast Channels do not appear.
- Fixed bug where email diagnostics feature failed when PowerPress is in Simple Mode.
- Released on 9/28/2010
- Added support for Custom Post Types.
- Fixed various translation issues with player settings admin screens.
powerpress_print_options()function to simplify printing select options in admin.
- Switched to using
esc_html()function (Thanks amereservant for bringing to our attention).
- Added wp-config
POWERPRESS_ENQUEUE_SCRIPTSdefine option if you want player.js to be enqueued (Feature request).
- Optimized iTunes Summary option no longer selected by default. Optimize iTunes Summary's clickable links do not appear on the online iTunes web site in the same way they do in the iTunes application.
- Added Arabic languages to list of feed languages (Thanks Ahmad for bringing to our attention).
- Added support for new iTunes 1-click Subscription URL format (e.g. http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/title-of-podcast/id000000000).
- Released on 7/2/2010
- Updated WP supported version tag to 3.0, we have yet to find any issues between PowerPress and the latest version of WordPress.
- Fixed minor bug when clicking 'Add Podcasting to Category' when category not selected.
- Added Media Redirect URL option for Category feeds and pages. The Redirect URL also works with single pages if only one category is selected for the post.
- Finished adding translation support. Want to translate PowerPress into you language? Please email cio [at] rawvoice.com for details.
- Improved error reporting for the 'Verify' button feature.
- Released on 5/10/2010
- Fixed bug where ampersand characters, if present, where not being escaped properly for the itunes:new-feed-url setting. (Thanks Bryon for reporting the bug)
- Added option to 1 pixel out player to display Display Remaining Time (thanks siri102 for suggesting this feature)
- Added option to 1 pixel out player to set the Buffering Time (thanks siri102 for suggesting this feature)
- Added better debug information for the Verify button's AJAX failures
- Implemented more efficient logic for including project files in PHP (Thanks Joseph Scott from Automattic)
- Released on 3/29/2010
- NOTE: There is no need to update to this version unless you can benefit from the new options or minor fixes listed below.
- Removed code to maintain currently selected tab due to conflict with mod_security. (Thanks Glark and matt1027 for your assistance with this issue!)
- Fixed ampersand (&) to & in podcast channel descriptions (Thanks David for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug where duration would only properly set using the Verify button, now works without the Verify button (Thanks Fr. Shawn for bringing to our attention!)
- Updated the
get_the_powerpress_content()theme functions to work even if the 'Media Presentation' setting is set to 'None'.
- Removed OpenSSL not enabled warning when saving settings if cURL supports SSL. (Thanks TonyF)
- Released on 3/6/2010
- Fixed warning message from appearing in other Blogging System import screen.
- Fixed bug where media links were always being displayed when using the powerpress shortcode.
- Added note why we do not plan on upgrading the FlowPlayer in PowerPress plugin.
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_TEXT_SEPARATORso users can replace the : character with what ever they want in their wp-config.php.
- Fixed bug with iTunes Enhanced Summary setting not applying correctly to podcast channel feeds (Thanks Kimberly for helping us with this issue!)
- Added extra logic to the iTunes Enhanced Summary to remove incomplete URLs from the end of the summary. (Thanks Kimbery for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug where post per feed/item settings were not getting set, now using
is_int(Thanks Darcy for bug fix!)
- Added additional information in the Diagnostics email message.
- Fixed remote HTTP logic for non-CURL configured servers (Thanks Andy for your assistance!)
- Released on 1/30/2010
- Added new 'Podcast Permalinks' option in Basic Settings so users can map example.com/podcast/ to a static page or category.
- Renamed jquery.cookie.js to jquery.c.js to prevent Apache mod_security from detecting the word 'cookie' as a possible threat.
- Additional code added for some cases where previous PodPress data was stored serialized twice over. PowerPress now un-serializes the PodPress data twice if necessary.
- Added option to Disable Media Player for known mobile devices such as iPhone, Android, Palm Pre and Blackberry phones. (Thanks Michael H!)
- Fixed bug with play in new window only using the default player. (Thanks Álvaro!)
- Fixed bug with AudioPlay flash player not linking to media file.
- Fixed bug with iTunes ping results for podcast categories and channels displaying the default feed results.
- Fixed bug with iTunes duration not displaying in edit screen after saving. (entered values are now saved if auto detect fails)
- Displaying default podcast category feed title below feed title field for reference.
- Displaying default podcast category landing page URL below Landing Page field for reference.
- Added note in the iTunes New Feed URL setting which feed the setting is applied to.
- Added option to allow manually setting the iTunes author name on a per episode basis.
- Updated Flash players to support URLs with spaces by urlencoding the URL values.
- Added better error reporting for AJAX 'Verify' button failures.
- Relabeled "Import Movable Type/Blogger/Joomla/TypePad Episodes" to "Import from other Blogging Platform".
- PodPress Import screen now includes a media file extension filter.
- PodPress Import now includes the m4v video cover images.
- PodPress Import "Select Only" specific columns feature.
- Other Blogging Platform Import "Select Only" specific columns feature.
- PowerPress shortcode [powerpress] now documented within the Appearance Settings tab.
- Warning added to "Auto Add Media" setting that the Duration (total play time) will not be detected.
- Added link to PodcastFAQ.com to footer and "Tools" page.
- All Podcast Channels must be deleted before disabling the Advanced Option.
- Fixed bug where Custom Channels with blank titles did not appear in list.
- Fixed bug where WordPress 2.6 PowerPress users have a disabled WordPress dashboard caused by missing wp_add_dashboard_widget() function.
- Diagnostics now tests that the temporary directory exists and is writable.
- Diagnostics Email results are now printed in the page after sending.
- Diagnostics now includes the title, version and URL of active plugins.
- Released on 12/19/2009
- Fixed compatibility bug introduced in WordPress 2.9 when using Blubrry Services on web servers with versions of PHP older than 5.2 (json_decode function compatibility)
- Added new "Display Player and Links Options" under Podcast Entry Box settings. You can now control displaying the default Player and/or Links on a per episode basis.
- Added new "Replace Player with Embed" option under Podcast Entry Box settings. When set, PowerPress will not display the default player if an embed code is set for the episode. Default behavior is to display both the native player and embed code.
- Added new "Find and Replace for Episode URLs" feature found under tools section. Perfect for users moving their media hosting to a new web site or service (Like Blubrry!).
- Plugin "Podcasting" support: Now including iTunes duration (audio length) previously saved using plugin "Podcasting".
- Plugin "Podcasting" support: Import plugin "Podcasting" settings option added to Tools page.
- Converted all function calls from split() to explode for PHP 6 compatibility.
- Using a default value for length (file size) to prevent feeds from becoming invalid.
- Fixed PodPress import bug where extra space characters from PodPress were not trimmed.
- 1 Pixel Out player: Width setting is now applied (up until now player was always 290 pixels wide)
- 1 Pixel Out player: Added option to display track information from mp3 by entering "TRACK" in the "Text In Player" field.
- Added translation support (translation support for PowerPress coming soon). Pages include tools, basic settings, category feeds, podcast channel feeds, dashboard page and diagnostics page.
- Added code to prevent other plugins from wiping out the custom podcast feed permalinks. Plugin identified that this code fixes so far include the pagebar plugin.
- Diagnostic results email can now optionally include the list of active plugins which helps when resolving conflicts between plugins.
- Diagnostic results email is now in HTML form which makes it easier to read.
- Removed most 'Notice' messages when WP_DEBUG define set in WordPress.
- Updated Blubrry Services Integration to support listing the past 30 days of published media.
- Support for WordPress 2.6 will be dropped in the next release of PowerPress.
- Released on 10/28/2009
- Added oga, spx, ogv and ogx (variations of ogg) to list of media file extensions detected.
- Added note with remove option below Media URL when media file is hosted by blubrry.com.
- Added Video Cover Image option for those who want to specify a URL to an image to display in place of the default play video box for QuickTime formatted video (m4v, mov, etc...).
- Added link to enable Category Podcasting from the Categories page in WordPress. Added 'Podcast Settings' and 'Add Podcasting' links under Categories table listing.
- Retitled Category Casting to Category Podcasting to clear up confusion.
- Simple Mode option retitled to 'Advanced Mode' to clear up confusion.
- Fixed bug where Media URL value starting with a slash '/' resulted in 2 slashes when the Default Media URL was added.
- Fixed bug with Verify button setting minutes in hour field and seconds in minute field for media hosted by blubrry.com.
- Fixed sufficient permissions to access this page bug when selecting players in Simple Mode. (Thanks Ben!)
- Fixed bug with Mp3 flash maxi player where
<div>container was not closed properly. (Thanks JWM!)
- Fixed bug with PowerPress conflicting with the headspace2 plugin in the blog dashboard. (Thanks digigirl!)
- Fixed Protected Content link by adding slash before wp-login.php. (Thanks Grant!)
<param>tags for player embeds so they are XML complaint. (Thanks billhector!)
- Added alt tags to images to support XHTML.
- Released on 10/13/2009
- Added 4 new mp3 flash players: 1 Pixel Out Audio Player, Mp3 Player Maxi, Simple Flash MP3 Player and AudioPlay player.
- Added PodPress Stats Archive view (option available in Settings > Basic Settings page).
- Added 'Verify' media option next to Media URL box to check entered URL and detect file size/duration information.
- Added Password Protect option for Custom Podcast Channels, allows for Premium Content (feature explained and enabled under Tools page).
- Relabeled Custom Podcast Feeds to Custom Podcast Channels to clear up confusion.
- Reorganized settings pages with tabbed sections.
- Beta released between 10/06/2009 and 10/12/2009
- New Password Protected Content feature now applies to both feeds and blog pages.
- Added note in services settings page that the plugin does not require blubrry.com membership or blubrry.com services.
- New Select and Configure link added on the select players page.
- Settings for 1 Pixel Out Audio Player and the Mp3 Flash Maxi player are now in tabbed navigation.
- Reset defaults options added to the 1 Pixel Out Audio Player and the Mp3 Flash Maxi player settings pages.
- Rewrote descriptions for the Password Protected and User Capabilities listed in the Tools page to clear up confusion.
- Beta released on 10/06/2009
- Added 4 new mp3 flash players: 1 Pixel Out Player, Mp3 Player Maxi, Simple Flash MP3 Player and AudioPlay player.
- Added PodPress Stats Archive view (option available in Settings > Basic page).
- Added 'Verify' media option next to Media URL box to check entered URL and detect file size/duration information.
- Added password protect feed option for Custom Channel feeds (option enabled under Tools page).
- Media detection for all types of media now uses the same code which is more reliable than the code found in WordPress core.
- New option that may fix issues with themes that strip the player from posts and pages. Confirmed fix works with Hybird based themes.
- Relabeled Custom Podcast Feeds to Custom Channels to clear up confusion.
- Reorganized settings pages with tabbed sections.
- Added new Video Scale setting, users can choose between 'scale', 'tofit, or enter their own scale value such as 1.5.
- Added new 'E-Book PDF' label for download links of PDF files.
- Added new CSS class to download links in the form of powerpress_links_EXTENSION, where EXTENSION is replaced with the media file extension in lower case. e.g. powerpress_links_mp3. Learn more: PowerPress Advanced Tweaks
- Update iTunes Listing option in Podcast Channels and Podcast Category Feeds is now independant of main Update iTunes Listing setting.
- Made additional tweaks to further support the old PodPress [display_podcast] shortcode.
- Released on 10/01/2009
- Fixed minor bugs with mp3 media detection: proper user agent set, logic added to deal with LibSyn 406 error, and media detection script can now be used for detecting file size for other media types.
- Improved iTunes subtitle so value is contained within one line.
- Fixed bug with mv4 video displaying incorrectly in PowerPress player.
- Released on 9/21/2009
- Fixed code that detects media information when encountering redirects. Bug only affected users who did not have cURL configured in PHP.
- Updated code for obtaining the uploads directory.
- Added new Diagnostics page, diagnostics test checks if blog can obtain media information from media URLs, if you can ping iTunes, if you can upload podcast artwork and system information. Option also included to email the results to a specific address.
- New Diagnostics page accessible via PowerPress > Tools > Diagnostics.
- When 'PodPress Episodes' setting enabled, we now process downloads with podpress_trac in the URL. This fixes issue for some users who have old podpress media links in their blog posts after PodPress is disabled.
- When 'PodPress Episodes' setting enabled, we now insert a player for the PodPress [display_podcast] shortcode.
- To eliminate confusion, the Mp3 Tags settings page does not appear unless you've configured Blubrry Services with hosting.
- New define added
POWERPRESS_DO_ENCLOSE_FIX, when defined true in the wp-config.php, PowerPress will add the Media URL to your podcast episodes as a comment in your post content to prevent WordPress do_enclose() function from deleting them later. Learn more about bug here: http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10511
- Changed language from "Pinging iTunes" to "Update iTunes Listing" to clear up confusion what the feature does.
- Shortocde [powerpress] now includes download and play in new window links.
- Simplified logic for pulling PodPress stored episode data.
- Updated some grammar and setting labels so they are easier to understand.
- Fixed bug with the "Use blog post author's name for individual episodes setting".
- Added Sample Rate and Channel Mode warnings, a warning is now printed if sample rate is not 22Khz or 44Khz and Channel mode is not stereo or joint stereo.
- Released on 9/12/2009
- No longer checking content type returned from servers, check effected video podcasters who have no control of their servers.
- Added Media URL redirect warning when redirects exceed 5, previously this was an error.
- Better detection used when server does not support HTTP URL connections, we now display a message when
allow_url_fopensetting is disabled and cURL library not available.
- Blubrry Services Integration, added message when authentication failed and display error when web server does not support Blubrry services.
- Added new background color option for podcast episode box, configurable in the Custom Podcast Feed > Edit Feed screen.
- Made Category Feed Settings, Custom Feed Settings, Movabyle Type and PodPress import screens WordPress 2.6 compatible.
- Added wmode: 'transparent' setting to Flash player so pop-up HTML divs can display over top of the flash player.
- Added extra check to prevent page errors when displaying old PodPress data in blog pages.
- Added note in PodPress Import screen: If you are unsure about importing your PodPress data, try the option under Basic Settings titled 'PodPress Episodes' and set to 'Include in posts and feeds'.
- Added logic that detects if
open_basedirare on, to handle redirects directly rather than in the cURL library.
- Released on 9/02/2009
- When we release 1.0 of PowerPress, new features will be added separately so bugs introduced by new features do not effect the existing plugin.
- Fixed bug introduced in 0.9.6, caused by the array_unshift() function. Its behavior was not consistent and has been removed. Bug caused a chain reaction of bugs, its fix resolves the following: Play in new Window error: Unable to retrieve media information, Episodes randomly not appearing in post pages, Previous PodPress created episodes no longer appearing.
- Fixed bug with publishing a new post with media file warning messages for curl_setopt() function
- Fixed bug for PodPress data that is wrongly serialized in database. WP 2.8+ get_meta_data() function was returning false rather than the damaged serialized string.
- PodPress Import improved, some cases PodPress data in the database is double serialized, new code resolves this complexity with help with bug fix above.
- Select Media screen, better message printed to user when they are not a media hosting customer.
- Fixed bug with RSS language tag for Custom Podcast Category feeds.
- Cleaned up code for jQuery/Thickbox screens.
- Added extra security checks and additional Nonces checks to ajax methods added by PowerPress.
- Added option for Blubrry Services users to be able to delete uploaded media
- Released on 8/31/2009
- Fixed array_unshift() for users in simple mode, bug created in 0.9.6 release.
- Fixed link to change from simple/advanced modes, bug created in 0.9.6 release.
- Fixed bug with changing Blubrry Services account email address.
- Released on 8/31/2009
- Added Auto Add Media option, auto adds first/last media link found in post content. (default is off)
- Added option in Appearance settings to disable player per custom podcast feed basis.
- Added option to Episode Entry Box Custom Mode to select iTunes Explicit setting on a per episode basis.
- Added note when in simple mode if there are advanced mode settings that take precedence.
- Fixed bug with language setting not getting applied to the default PowerPress custom podcast feed in some cases.
- Fixed a bug in the getid3 library where it would occasionally not detect the media duration.
- Detecting mp3 duration change, increased the amount of the file downloaded from 25k to 40k for users who have a lot of tags in their mp3 files.
- Consolidated duplicate code for detecting media information.
- Display error message when PowerPress cannot detect media file content type.
- Display error message when PowerPress cannot detect media file size and duration information.
- Display error message when PowerPress encounters an error with Blubrry Services.
- Stream lined code for loading PowerPress general and feed settings.
- Added more aggressive code to prevent WordPress from deleting enclosures when scheduling blog posts.
- Improved the look of the AJAX windows for selecting media/configuring services.
- Fixed bug where 'more' link for statistics would fail if user was not a blog admin.
- Added code to admin_head() function so css/js only included on appropriate pages (Thanks @Frumph!).
- Made Default Podcast Episode first media player listed when displaying multiple players on page.
- Blubrry Media Hosting list of uploaded media screen enhanced with new in-page media upload option and monthly quota information.
- Fixed bug with Podcast Category feed links to FeedValidator (thanks Darcy Fiander).
- Fixed bug with Podcast Category feed title not matching the feed image title FeedValidator (thanks Darcy Fiander).
- Fixed Windows Media embed issue with Firefox 3.x+ and re-added note to use the Firefox Windows Media addon.
- Released on 8/15/2009
- Redirect logic enhanced to track in page plays for users using the Blubrry/RawVoice/TechPodcasts statistics redirect system.
- Fixed bug where
morelink would occasionally disappear in the Blubrry PowerPress Statistics Dashboard widget.
- Released on 8/10/2009
- Fixed bug with setting width of video player.
- Added logic to always use the FlowPlayerClassic.swf player for flv video files.
- Released on 7/31/2009
- Added option for wp-config.php
define('POWERPRESS_ENABLE_HTTPS_MEDIA', 'warning');to allow https:// links but still display a warning message.
- Finalized code for new powerpress_player filter. Filter will be used in the up coming 1.0 release of Blubrry PowerPress.
- Fixed bug with setting specific language in a custom podcast feed.
- Released on 07/23/2009
- Fixed logic error for new window player, now only displays embed or player, not both.
- Fixed content-type detection bug introduced in version 0.9.1.
- Added code to auto-correct the content-type in the feeds if it is invalid.
- Updated readme.txt to use the recommended Changelog format.
- Released on 7/22/2009
- Added new define for wp-config.php
define('POWERPRESS_ENABLE_HTTPS_MEDIA', true);for allowing https:// media links.
- iTunes ping logic updated to support scheduled posts as well as category and custom podcast feeds.
- iTunes URL setting added to category and custom podcast feeds settings page.
- Latest iTunes ping status now displayed below iTunes URL setting.
in_the_loop()check added to 0.9.0 removed which broke some themes.
- Screenshots updated.
- Released on 7/20/2009
The following plugins may be used in conjunction with PowerPress.
- Message Flow - generates a CoverFlow-like interface for your blog posts with podcast episodes. For podcasts, use shortocde
- Eli's PowerPress Addon Widget - Adds a sidebar widget that lists your podcast episodes linked to the play in a new window PowerPress player.
- PowerPress Posts From MySQL - Creates blog posts with PowerPress podcast episode information from a MySQL table.
- Subscribe Sidebar plugin by Blubrry - A sidebar widget that provides a list of "Subscribe" links to your sidebar.
Why doesn't Blubrry PowerPress support multiple enclosures in one feed item/post?
Blubrry PowerPress does not allow you to include multiple media files for one feed item (blog post). This is because each podcatcher handles multiple enclosures in feeds differently. iTunes will download the first enclosure that it sees in the feed ignoring the rest. Other podcatchers and podcasting directories either pick up the first enclosure or the last in each post item. This inconsistency combined with the fact that Dave Winer does not recommend multiple enclosures and the FeedValidator.org recommendation against it is why the Blubrry PowerPress does not support them.
As a alternative, PowerPress allows you to create additional Custom Podcast Feeds to associate any magnitude of media format and/or length in a blog post to specific custom feeds. For example, you can create one blog post associated to separate video and audio podcast feeds saving you time from entering your show notes twice.
Why doesn't Blubrry PowerPress include media statistics built-in?
Blubrry PowerPress does not include media statistics built-in. This is not because Blubrry has its own statistics service, although that's a good reason by itself. Maintaining and calculating statistics is a resource and server intensive task that would add bloat to an otherwise efficient WordPress podcasting plugin. We recommend using your media hosting's web statistics to give you basic download numbers and, if you are seeking more grandular measurements such as client and geographical information for each episode, you're more than welcome to use the Blubrry Statistics service as well.
You may however access your Blubrry Statistics from within your WordPress dashboard.
How do you insert the player within a blog post?
You can insert the media player within yoru blog posts by using the WordPress shortcode feature. The shortcode for PowerPress is [powerpress] (all lowercase)
You may use the shortcode to add a player to other media files (non episode files) by specifying the media url in the shortcode: [powerpress url="http://example.com/path/to/media.mp3"]
For advanced users with multiple podcast feeds, you may insert the player for a specific feed by specifying the feed slug in the shortcode: [powerpress feed="podcast"]
If you want to specify a cover image, add an image attribute which points to the specific image url: [powerpress image="http://example.com/path/to/cover_image.jpg"] Experimental
Why can't you upload large media files?
File uploads are tricky to handle because there are so many web hosting variations with different upload size limits. We recommend using an FTP application to upload large media files. FTP is much more efficient than web based uploads and is typically provided by nearly all web hosting providers.
Will you be upgrading the version of Flow Player to 3.x?
Because of the feature restrictions and branding that FlowPlayer.org places on FlowPlayer 3.x versions, we do not plan on updating the player packaged with PowerPress. The PAID open-source FlowPlayer is not compatible with the FREE open source PowerPress plugin.