Blubrry PowerPress Podcasting plugin
No. 1 Podcasting plugin for WordPress, with simple & advanced modes, players, subscribe tools, and more! Supports iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher...
PowerPress is the No. 1 Podcasting plugin for WordPress. Developed by podcasters for podcasters; features include Simple and Advanced modes, multiple audio/video player options, subscribe to podcast tools, podcast SEO features, and more! Fully supports iTunes, Google Play, Stitcher, and Blubrry Podcasting directories, as well as all podcast applications and clients.
If you are just getting started or feel overwelmed with all the settings and options, switch to Simple mode! PowerPress's Simple Mode will walk you through getting started in 3 easy steps.
- Setup your Podcast quickly with only the essential settings
- Create your first Episode
- Submit your podcast to iTunes
When you're ready you can switch to Advanced mode to tap into all the options professionals would want.
PowerPress Key Features
- Full iTunes & Google Play support: Adds iTunes compliant podcast feeds to your WordPress site.
- Integrated HTML5 Media Players: Audio/video Web players with embed support from sites such as YouTube.
- Subscribe tools: Create subscribe page with our exclusive subscribe shortcode embed and subscribe sidebar widget optimized for responsive websites, high-resolution screens and Apple Retina displays.
- Podcasting SEO: Improve discovery of your podcast on search engines such as Google, and with the iTunes podcast directory.
- Podcast Importing: Import your podcast from SoundCloud, LibSyn, PodBean, Squarespace, or other podcast RSS feed.
- Migration tools: Quickly migrate from PodPress, TGS Podcasting, Seriously Simple Podcasting, Blogger, or Movable Type without losing episodes.
- Multi-podcast support: Create separate podcasts by category (Category Podcasting) or by media format (Podcast Channels).
- Post type and taxonomy podcasting: Create podcasts from custom post types and taxonomies.
- *Media Statistics: Get FREE Blubrry Media Statistics from your WordPress dashboard.
- Multi-languages and locales: See PowerPress in your language for details.
Includes Full Google Play Music Support!
Blubrry PowerPress 6.1+ fully supports Google Play Music podcast directory. Upgrade to PowerPress 6.1 then submit your podcast to Google Play Music.
Includes Full iTunes Support!
Blubrry PowerPress fully supports iTunes, which is required for podcasting. PowerPress comes with the following iTunes specific features:
- iTunes compliant podcast feeds: The appropriate tags are added to your feeds so your iTunes listing looks great.
- Optimized iTunes summary: Converts your blog-post content to a format suited for viewing in iTunes (learn more).
- Tunes artwork: Upload and manage your iTunes artwork directly from within PowerPress settings.
- iTunes podcasting: Fully supported, including the latest Apple iTunes podcasting specifications.
- Feed Episode Maximizer: Increase the number of episodes viewed on iTunes while decreasing the byte size of your feeds.
Integrated Media Players
Blubrry PowerPress includes extensive Web player options to display your podcast audio and video in your Web pages.
- Audio players: Pick from MediaElement.js, native HTML5 audio or 1 Pixel Out Player.
- Video players: Pick from MediaElement.js, native HTML5 video or VideoJS.
- Post positioning: Position player above or below your content.
- Player shortcode: Place the player exactly where you want by adding the
[powerpress]shortcode directly into your post content.
- Playlist player shortcode: Include a playlist of your latest podcast episodes utilizing the
[powerpress_playlist]shortcode in any page or post.
- Embeds: Add embeds from sites such as YouTube.
- Links: Provide download, play in new window and embed links.
- Audio formats supported: mp3, m4a, oga (ogg audio), opus.
- Video formats supported: m4v, mp4, webm, ogv (ogg video).
Integrated Subscribe Tools
A Blubrry PowerPress exclusive, podcast subscribe tools help you convert Web visitors into podcast subscribers. Subscribe options include:
- Subscribe page: Instantly create a subscribe page with simplified instructions on how to subscribe to your podcast using the PowerPress subscribe page shortcode.
- Subscribe page shortcode: Add the
[powerpress_subscribe]shortcode to include a mobile-device optimized subscribe embed in any post or page that includes buttons to subscribe on iTunes, Subscribe on Android, Subscribe by Email, via RSS, and an special textbox to easily copy and paste your podcast feed into any podcast application.
- Subscribe sidebar widget: Mobile device optimized sidebar buttons to subscribe on iTunes, Subscribe on Android, subscribe by RSS, and a "more subscribe options" button linked to your podcast's subscribe page.
- Subscribe links: Subscribe on iTunes, Subscribe on Android, subscribe by RSS and a link to your custom subscribe page below every player.
- Retina enabled: Subscribe button images optimized for high resolution displays including Apple Retina displays.
- Responsive: Subscribe tools are designed for any screen and optimized for touch screens by providing custom buttons that are at minimum 48 pixels in height.
Integrates with Blubrry's Services
Make your life easier by adding our FREE or paid media hosting and statistics services to streamline your podcast productivity.
- Quickly access your Blubrry media download statistics from your WordPress dashboard.
- Publish Blubrry hosted media directly from your blog.
- View Blubrry hosting usage quota from your blog.
- Configure how Blubrry writes media (ID3) tags within PowerPress settings.
- Migrate all of your media to your Blubrry Podcast Media Hosting account with just a couple clicks.
The Blubrry basic statistics service is FREE. Our Premium Statistics Service, which includes RawVoice Certified Statistics, U.S. downloads, trending and exporting, is available for $5 month. Blubrry Media Hosting packages start at $12.
Advanced Features for those who need more
Want more? We've got more! With a simple click you can enable advanced features and options. Check out some of the advanced features:
- Podcasting SEO settings: Utilize the iTunes features that improve the discovery of your podcasts and include the necessary meta data in your blog pages for search engines to discover.
- Embeds: Provide embeds your audience can take with them (just like YouTube embeds)
- Media size and duration detection: Enter your media URL and let the PowerPress do the rest.
- Category Casting: Add podcast support to your WordPress category feeds.
- Custom Podcast Channels: Distribute multiple formats (audio/video) and versions (short/full length).
- Taxonomy Podcasting: Create podcasts for your custom taxonomy tag names including WordPress Tags. (feature sponsored by AfterBuzzTV.com)
- Post Type Podcasting: Create podcasts for your custom post types.
- Premium Podcasting (Requires a membership plugin and/or roles and capabilities plugin to manage)
- User Role Management: Control which users in your blog can podcast. (Requires a roles and capabilities plugin to manage)
- Diagnostics: Check to see if your server is configured to support all of the available features in PowerPress.
- WordPress MultiSite: Blubrry PowerPress is compatible with WordPress MultiSite and can be extended using the Blubrry PowerPress MultiSite add-on plugin.
- *Supported syndication formats: mp3, m4a, mp4, m4v, webm, ogg, oga, ogv, wma, ra, mp4a, m4v, mp4v, mpg, asf, avi, wmv, flv, swf, mov, divx, 3gp, midi, wav, aa, pdf, torrent, m4b, m4r, epub.
*Apple iTunes only supports mp3, m4a, mp4, m4v, pdf and epub.
Migrating from PodPress or other podcasting plugin?
Switching to from PodPress to PowerPress is seamless. Simply enable PowerPress then disable PodPress and you're done! PowerPress will continue where plugin your old plugin left off by including your previously created episodes in your feeds and Web pages.
Note: Advanced settings such as settings for podcast categories will need to be recreated in PowerPress.
PowerPress in your Language
PowerPress is looking for translators!
Translators will receive the following from us as a thank you for contributing:
- Free Blubrry Professional podcast statistics account for your podcast.
- Name or nickname in the PowerPress readme.txt and in the PowerPress WordPress.org Translators list (will give you credit for your contribution)
- Website URL (optional, we will link to your website)
Interested translators please contact us, include your WordPress.org account name, blubrry account login (if you have one), your name, desired URL, and the language locale(s) you would like to translate.
. . . or have some ideas that could improve the plugin?
- Visit the Blubrry PowerPress Forum and Blubrry Resources
- Use the Blubrry Contact Us form
- Blubrry PowerPress Documentation
- Check out The Podcasting Manual - everything you need to know about podcasting
Need More Help?
We now offer one-on-one consulting via GoToMeeting, Skype or phone. Learn more about Blubrry Consulting Services
PowerPress is developed and maintained by Blubrry, a podcasting company and community owned and operated by podcasters providing tools and resources for podcasters to measure, monetize, publish and host podcasts. Although we'd like you to become a member of Blubrry, no membership is required to use this free open source podcasting plugin.
|Tags||add-ons, addons, apple, apple tv, audio, audio player, blubrry, Buzzsprout, CastMyBlog, clammr, clammr radio, dashboard, docs, documentation, embed, enclosure, episodes, extensions, feed, feedburner, flash, flv, free, google play, google play music, id3, iPad, iphone, iTunes, libsyn, libsyn podcasting, m4v, media, mediacaster, mp3, MP4, MTR, MU, multi-site, multisite, music, player, plugin, podbean, podcast, podcast.de, podcaster, podcasting, podlove, podomatic, Post, posts, powerpress, professional, rss, rss2, series, serious, seriously, seriously simple podcasting, show, shows, simple, simple podcasting, social, soundcloud, spreaker, squarespace, SSP, statistics, stats, stitcher, support, tgs podcasting, TSG, ustream, viddler, video, wordpress MU, wordpressmu, WP-boxCast, youtube|
PowerPress's Simple Mode will walk you through setting up your podcast in 3 easy steps.
Just like blogging, podcasting utilizes blog posting features with the addition of a podcast episode box. Yes, podcasting is that simple!
PowerPress comes with a built-in subscribe sidebar widget to help your audience subscribe to your podcast.
PowerPress comes with an editable subscribe page builder with a subscribe embed tool to help your web visitors subscribe.
PowerPress's Advanced Mode settings let you dig in as deep as you want to with every possible setting for podcasting at your fingertips.
PowerPress incorporates the built-in WordPress media players into your blog posts and pages.
Point and Click Installation
- Sign into your blog, go to the plugins section and click 'Add New'.
- In the search box enter "PowerPress", then click 'Search'.
- Click the 'Install Now' link and proceed to install the plugin.
- Once installed, click 'Activate'.
- Configure your Blubrry PowerPress by going to the Settings > Blubrry PowerPress page.
To install Blubrry PowerPress manually, follow these steps:
- Download PowerPress from WordPress.org.
- Extract the downloaded zip file to a temporary folder.
- Copy the entire powerpress folder from the downloaded zip file into the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your server.
- Activate the "Blubrry PowerPress" plugin in your blog's Plugin Management page.
- Configure your Blubrry PowerPress by going to the Settings > Blubrry PowerPress page.
Next Major Release Announcements
- PowerPress 7.0 coming very soon. Beta testers expect an email in the coming weeks.
- We are looking for beta testers! If you would like to beta test future versions of PowerPress, please contact us with your name and email.
Become a PowerPress Patron!
Help support your favorite podcasting plugin via Patreon. Visit Blubrry's Patreon page
- Released on 4/2/2016
- Improved feed import for PodBean users (they appear to be blocking user agents like SquareSpace)
to new lines for iTunes summary so new lines appear on iTunes desktop app (Thanks Daniel for input!)
- Added additional code to handle ajax verify media URL errors.
- Added Feed setting option
Do not allow other plugins to modify podcast feeds..
- Added Feed setting option
Include RSS Image in feeds., default is enabled. For themes that set their own site icon in the feeds.
- Added logic to handle post type podcast only feeds. (Thanks Alan for helping us debug!)
- Added logic to prevent featured episode from appearing on custom post type feeds.
- Fixed bug with post type podcasting channel level feed settings not applying correctly when using slug
podcast. (Thanks Joe for pointing out the issue)
- Fixed bug with enhanced itunes summary not displaying in some circumstances. (Thanks Filip for bringing to our attention!)
- Podcast Subscribe sidebar widget category podcasting option now accepts category slug values (in addition to the category numeric ID)
- Added define option
wp_authenticationerror message when password protected feed authentication fails. This is useful for debugging purposes.
- Fixed typos in RSS import page. (Thanks Robin!)
- Released on 2/21/2016
- Added import podcast from Squarespace option (thanks Steve for bringing to our attention that importing from Squarespace requires added logic)
- The itunes:summary tag values can now use CDATA encapsulation. Note updated that
<itunes:summary>may not contain HTML, except for hyperlinks. (Thanks Apple iTunes team!)
- Added checkbox to enable wrapping iTunes summary values with
<![CDATA[ ... ]]>tags. This may become a permanent feature.
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_FEED_TEMPLATE. (Thanks Ron for the suggestion!)
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_PREMIUM_GROUPS_PLUGIN, for premium podcasting with Groups plugin commonly paired with WooCommerce.
- Removed iTunes explicit 'no' value from
<itunes:explicit>tag. (iTunes change - February, 2016)
- Updated iTunes recommended image size to 3000 x 3000 saved in a compressed format such as JPG. (iTunes change - February, 2016)
- Fixed notice message from appearing when using the playlist player (Thanks chefjoef for bringing to our attention).
- Added width and height attributes to img tag for the HTML5 audio player image. (Thanks Eduard for the patch and information about the Accelerated Mobile Pages Project!)
- Fixed tab control styling when other themes or plugins use newer versions of jquery-ui.
- Added dismissable notification message to alert PowerPress users of the latest iTunes changes.
- Enhanced iTunes summary option now formats new lines with
tag for use on iOS podcasts app.
- Released on 1/6/2016
- Fixed messages that could occur the first time you select a video player when PHP notices enabled on server. (Thanks Paul Bearne for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed date issue when importing feeds. (Thanks tiptopolive for bringing to our attention!)
- Set item limit advanced option added for podcast importing.
- Released on 12/14/2015
- Import Podcast by feed added. You can now migrate your podcast from any service such as SoundCloud, LibSyn or PodBean into your own WordPress site powered by PowerPress!. With only a couple clicks you can import your program information, artwork and episodes. **NOTE: Import feature was planned for PowerPress 7.0. Based on requests and rumors we are releasing this feature now.
- Import podcast feature includes program level information (Thanks Daniel Lewis for your feedback!)
- Import podcast feature downloads iTunes artwork.
- Import podcast feature advanced options: Allow duplicate episode titles and dates, Overwrite podcast program information, and include blog posts.
- Import podcast feature only imports your feed and meta information. Media files may be migrated using the Media Migration tool or manually.
- Fixed bug with podcast titles not displaying in some situations when using WordPress versions older than 4.4. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for pointing out the issue)
- Fixed bug with image title not matching feed title (Thanks EntBuddha for the heads up!)
- Happy Holidays! Jeff Buckley cover of Everyday People
- Released on 12/9/2015
- WordPress 4.4 has changed how feed titles are set. Please update PowerPress immediately to avoid feed title issues.
- Feed titles in WP 4.4 no longer use the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter. All other feed fields appear to still be using the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter at this time. We will be taking additional measures in future releases of PowerPress assuming WordPress core will be abandoning the
get_bloginfo_rssfilter for all other feed fields.
- YOU MUST UPDATE POWERPRESS TO 6.2.2 IF YOU ARE USING WORDPRESS 4.4
- Tested latest changes does not break backwards compatibility with WordPRess 4.3 or older.
- Fixed Clammr typos (Thanks Robin for the heads up!)
- Increased fields with maxlength 250 to 255 for iTunes settings (Thanks Robin for pointing out limit!)
- Released on 11/22/2015
- Removed logic added in last updated to call the do_shortcode function. We originally added this code to solve a theme conflict, it appears to have cause problems for others so we're reverting back.
If your theme overrides the audio player shortcode (player will only appear correctly when calling
do_shortcode('[audio]')), then you must include the following define in your wp-config.php:
- Added new
powerpress_subscribeshortcode, will put your itunes subtitle below your podcast title in the subscribe widget. (Thanks Robert for the feature suggestion!)
- Added new
subtitle="your custom subtitle"attribute for
powerpress_subscribeshortcode, you can now customize a subtitle that goes below your title. (Again thanks Robert!)
- Added logic to use cURL library when native HTTP library in WordPress fails. (Thanks Zuke for helping us debug the problem!)
- Added new logic to check for
the_excerptused in the http head. Should fix issue for folks using Yoast's SEO plugin with Facebook social enabled.
- Added code for the Clammr audio player to work in the "play in new window".
- Added new "Having Issues?" option, "wp_head check", will not add player and links if within the wp_head function call.
- Updated links for submitting to iTunes and Google Play Music Podcast Portal.
- Released on 11/16/2015
- Clammr Audio Player option added to PowerPress.
- Added logic to call the do_shortcode function when themes override the audio shortcode.
- Fixed bug in the media redirect url function when switching between sites for a MultiSite. (Thanks Avi for the patch!)
- HTML output will only append a "\n" when in debug mode. This will prevent situation where some plugins convert new lines into
<br>tags. (Thanks Avi for bringing to our attention)
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_DO_SHORTCODE, when set in your wp-config.php the
do_shortcodeis used rather than calling the
- Moved the
wp_enqueue_stylefor subscribe widget within the shortcode. Shortcode can now be used outside of
the_content. (Thanks Robert for letting us know about the bug!)
- Released on 10/30/2015
- Added Google Play Music podcast directory support.
- Added Donate Link option under Feed settings tab.
- Removed the enqueuing of mediaelement.js scripts and styles for the player and links in theme pages. PowerPress's player.min.js will only be included on pages with the player or player links. (Thanks wadehammes for bringing to our attention).
- Updated iTunes subtitle and summary values to treat utf8mb4 data as utf8.
- Added better logic for checking for UTF8 values for iTunes attributes.
- Added the text domain setting in the powerpress.php file for translate.wordpress.org use.
- Enhanced iTunes summary bug where some iTunes summaries were getting cut to 255 characters fixed.
- Code updated to support PHP7.
- Released on 9/8/2015
- Changed the Play in New Window logic to support WordPress MultiSite
switch_to_blog()function calls (Thanks Avi for the patch!)
- Minified version of player.min.js updated.
- Fixed possible XSS vulnerability with the settings tab control.
- Added new
POWERPRESS_CURLdefine option for wp-config.php. When set, PowerPress will use it's own cURL logic rather than use the
- Released on 8/27/2015
- Added new Subscribe by Email option to Subscribe Links feature. By default this new feature is not enabled. Go to "PowerPress Settings" > "Media Appearance" to enable Subscribe by Email.
- Enhanced iTunes Summary feature now maintains links.
- Added check for null values returned from
- HTTPS URL warnings have been removed. The past year usage of podcast applications that do not support https is now negligible.
- Added support for https:// media URLs for Blubrry and RawVoice statistics services.
- Verify media URL option now verifies SSL certificates and hostnames for https URLs.
- Added Podcast subscribe link support to post type podcasting.
- Links to Feed Validator have been temporarily removed, service does not correctly validate secure podcast feeds. We are working on an alternative.
- Moved defines for customizing links within the
plugins_loadedaction after translations are loaded.
- Fixed bug with linking blubrry account displayed HTML syntax for sign-in errors.
- Added logic to the Subscribe to Podcast sidebar widget to only display category, feed slug and post type settings when appropriate.
- Added new define option
POWERPRESS_NO_THE_EXCERPT, allows you to remove PowerPress's the_excerpt filter for special situations that warrant it. (Thanks Avi for the code)
- Changed logic for the
powerpress_get_the_excerpt_rssfunction. (Thanks Avi for the code)
- Added 'mov' file extensions to the list of migrate-able media files.
- Updated migrate media logic to allow for resetting of migration.
- Improved error reporting for blubrry.com API calls.
- Tweaked how Blubrry account linking is presented in plugin to make it easier.
- Released on 5/7/2015
- Added define option
POWERPRESS_DEFAULT_MEDIA_URLto enable the default media URL field.
- Fixed notice messages being printed when populating category podcasting settings (thanks slapdashcast for bringing to our attention)
- iTunes image requirements updated, 3000x3000 is now the maximum (previously 2048x2048) for iTunes artwork. 1400x1400 is still the recommended size.
- Added Subscribe on Android, the one-click subscribe protocol for Android. There are currently 6 Android apps that support Subscribe on Android one-click with more to follow in the coming weeks.
- PowerPress Playlist Player SQLi injection vulnerability fixed (Thanks Ben Bidner, Security Wrangler @ Automattic.com!)
- Subscribe tools now use the esc_attr, esc_url and esc_html native WordPress functions (rather than htmlspecialchars).
- Released on 3/21/2015
- Fixed bug where specific global podcast settings are not applied when podcast channel settings iTunes new feed URL or feed maximizer option were configured then deleted afterward. This only effected settings if you deleted the default podcast feed.
- Added wp-config define option
POWERPRESS_DISABLE_ITUNES_UTF8, when set to true PowerPress will not convert iTunes values to UTF-8. This is for the very small number of folks who are not using UTF-8 in their website.
- The subscribe shortcode embed attributes are now strictly enforced. If you enter a category or a podcast channel and it does not exist, the shortcode will be empty and will no longer fall-back to the main podcast settings.
- The subscribe shortcode embed specifying a category not displaying category fixed (thanks elembemedia for bringing to our attention)
- Subscribe links below player for category podcasts now works but only if you select 1 category. 2 or more categories complicates things.
- Added logic to fix situation with JetPack and automatic excerpts. Manual excerpts or regular content pages are not affected. (Thanks grahamharper for the details!)
- Added new "Having Issues?" option "Yes, excluding excerpts", will apply player and links fix logic except when the_excerpt filter is called first.
- AudioObject and VideoObject descriptions are now set using the blog post if no itunes subtitle is set.
- Fixed Episode Titles bug, if you did not set a custom episode title the program title was not appended.
- Fixed "Feature Episode" bug, unchecking the option will now properly save.
- Fixed playlist player date attribute not applying when set to false (thanks trb310 for pointing out the issue!)
- Danish translation updated, thanks Team Blogos!
- Added new subscribe embed attribute "heading", you can now customize the "Subscribe to" label, e.g. add "the" to the Subscribe to label
[powerpress_subscribe heading="Subscribe to the"
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_DEBUGfor PowerPress debugging.
- Coming in PowerPress 6.1 we will allow podcasters who use category podcasting to set one of their category podcasts as the "Default". This podcast category will replace the default podcast feed. This will solve a number of complications Category podcasting has in regards to slug name collisions as well as in-page features like the subscribe links.
- Coming in PowerPress 6.1 Podcasting SEO field options will be customizable.
- Released on 1/25/2015
- Duration detection option now works for sites running PHP 5.2 (If you can, please upgrade your PHP, but we understand that some situations warrant running outdated software)
- Tweaked CSS for subscribe sidebar widget font color to always be white.
- Changed the new 6.0 logic that prevents players from being added until after the wp_head is called, we now ignore when having theme issues option is selected to fix custom theme logic that may happen before wp_head.
- Added additional "Having Theme Issues" option, alternative logic to try to fix the situation where the player and/or links does not appear with some themes and plugins.
- Even though PowerPress 6.0 requires WordPress 3.6+, code has been added to prevent error messages in the event plugin updated on older version of WordPress.
- Fixed bug where malicious code could be injected into the edit existing category podcasting page. Thanks Netsparker for reporting the issue.
- Fixed bug with Podcasting SEO settings where Episode Titles could not be disabled.
- Fixed bug where Godaddy customers using PHP 5.4 were getting a blank screen for the PowerPress Settings page due to a bug in the stristr() function. Godaddy is aware of the problem and working on a fix. In the mean time we've replaced calls to stristr() with preg_match().
- Podcast Republic now uses the podcast feed URL for subscriptions (rather than the iTunes URL).
- Released on 12/19/2014
- You must have WordPress 3.6 or newer and PHP 5.2 or newer for PowerPress 6.0.
- NEW FEATURE: Playlist player, utilizes WordPress built-in playlist specifically for podcasting. Learn more
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe links, adds subscribe on iTunes and via RSS links below the player and links.
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe page template and
[powerpress_subscribe]page shortcode added. Create a "Subscribe to podcast" page for your podcast.
- NEW FEATURE: Subscribe to podcast widget, adds subscribe on iTunes and via RSS links to side bar, with optional link to subscribe to podcast page.
- NEW FEATURE: Podcasting SEO settings. Includes options to customize podcast feed titles, AudioObjects, VideoObjects, and highlight key iTunes fields.
- NEW FEATURE: Migrate to Blubrry Podcast Hosting in 3 easy steps added.
- iTunes image requirements updated, 1400x1400 minimum size is now "required" and 2048x2048 is now the maximum size for iTunes artwork.
- iTunes category and subcategory selection updated for latest iTunes category selection rules.
- Enhnaced iTunes Summary is back! The feature actually never left, but for the past few years links were not formatted in the iOS app. Now that they are, we now recommend the feature.
- Fixed bug where Feed Maximizer option only worked when Podcast Channels was enabled (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug where player and links would not appear if Yoast's WordPress SEO plugin option "Add Open Graph meta data" was enabled.
- iTunes keywords feature has been removed, feature was deprecated last year by Apple. The iTunes keywords field will appear for previous episodes that used the feature.
- Added support for Opus audio with content type audio/ogg. (Thanks thebugcast for the heads up!)
- Files with 'ogg' file extension are now treated as audio/ogg, unless the following define is added to your wp-config.php:
define('POWERPRESS_OGG_VIDEO', true);(Thanks thebugcast for pointing out the default!)
- Updated the Find and Replace episode URLs tool to use native WordPress MySQL query functions.
- Changed the logic for HEAD requests for HTTP authentication. Default WordPress behavior is to exit all HEAD requests. (Thanks thebugcast!)
- Changed all content types to either use the site default or use UTF8 (applies to play in new window and 401 Unauthorized HTML pages).
- Added new
powerpress_premium_content_authorizedfilter for premium plugins to override the default behavior which uses roles and capabilities.
- Updated the getid3 library to latest version, PowerPress now includes ogg duration detection support for "Speex" or "vorbis".
- We are no longer detecting if the sample rate is optimal, we're no longer worried about Flash playback.
- Removed Flow Player, Simple Flash, AudioPlay and Flash Mp3 Maxi players. These flash players are no longer supported.
- New MediaElement.js Audio player max width setting added. Player will now display full width otherwise. Player is now responsive, the width will shrink or stretch for the screen.
- Improved MediaElement.js Video player width and height settings. Player will now display full width, or as styled by the theme's CSS if width and height are blank. Player is now responsive, the width will shrink or stretch for the screen, the height can be set with a blank width to allow for the player to fit different screens.
- We are now warning users not to use Flash based players in the player selection screens.
- Added option to set stats redirect at the channel/post type level. Requires a define
POST_TYPE_STATS_REDIRECTin the wp-config.php file.
- FeedBurner feed URL when set will be used in the new subscribe page and subscribe sidebar widget (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Playlist Player no longer includes the play time when it is zero. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Program Titles with double quotes in the general settings was not escaped correctly, it is now fixed. (Thanks Robin for bringing to our attention)
- Edit value fields now use the
esc_attr()wordpress function rather than the
htmlspecialchars()native PHP function.
powerpress_admin_capabilitiesfilter for premium capabilities. (Thanks Blair Williams for the suggestion)
- Made subscribe sidebar and subscribe embed button icons Retina screen compatible
- Re-added the blubrry folder icon for blubrry podcast hosting customers.
- Tweaked wording and updated documentation for SEO settings (Thanks Daniel Lewis for the feedback!)
- Tweaked updated documentation for the PowerPress Playlist (Thanks Daniel Lewis for asking questions, it helped us better document the features)
- Fixed subscribe links always displaying (thanks Thiago Miro for pointing out the bug)
- Fixed upload itunes image and poster image episode functions to use selected image size when "Link URL" is blank (Thanks Daniel Lewis for bringing to our attention)
- Added a learn more link to the SEO page.
- Added code for the new Subscribe embed so the subscribe embed CSS is only loaded when the shortcode is used in a page.
- Added the wp-video and wp-video-shortcode classes to the MEJS video player so latest CSS styling in WordPress is again applied 100% of the time to the MEJS player packaged in PowerPress.
- Playlist player will now use the iTunes episode image if one is set for each episode. Program level image is used if no image is set.
- Playlist player taxonomy podcasting now accepts the term_taxonomy_id, making it more efficient.
- Moved the Shortcodes into their own section in Media Appearance settings, they are now included in Podcast Channels, Category Podcasting, Post Type podcasting and Taxonomy podcasting with the appropriate attributes set for convenience.
- Brazilian Portuguese translation for v6.0+ by Leo Lopes from Radiofobia.
- Released on 12/16/2014
- Update your copy of PowerPress to version 5.0.9 immediately
- Due to concerns of possible security exploits, the FlowPlayer flash based player has been removed from PowerPress as of version 5.0.10. PowerPress users are strongly encouraged to update their copy of PowerPress immediately.
- FlowPlayer will be replaced with the default WordPress MediaElement.js player.
- Released on 7/28/2014
- Fixed wo logic errors in the powerpress-player.php (Thanks Tom from the Hawaii Vacation Connection podcast for bringing to our attention)
- Added support for the PowerPress in your Language add-on plugin.
- Removed support for the PowerPress in your Language, plugin was rejected by WordPress.org. We are doing our best to come up with another solution.
- Screenshot files have been moved to the assets folder, they will no longer be packaged with the plugin's zip file.
- Fixed PHP warning in powerpressadmin.php on line 2405 (Thanks Robin for letting us know)
- Added notice for FeedBurner setting "We recommend that you disabled SmartCast when using PowerPress with FeedBurner", otherwise FeedBuner will duplicate iTunes descriptions for episodes. (Thanks Daniel Lewis for suggestion)
- Added No-Fault Hosting support for all Blubrry Podcast Hosting customers. In addition, starting August 1st 2014, publishing quotas will be reset on the 1st of each month.
- PowerPress 6.0 beta will be available for testing the end of this week. If you are interested in beta testing, please contact us.
- Released on 6/11/2014
- Added better error reporting logic for services and statistics.
- Added option to get podcast meta data optionally from a value (rather than from database)
- Added logic to override the html content-type when a HTTP HEAD request is made for a feed URL
- Fixed notice message on line 220 of powerpress.php (thanks brandonferens for letting us know about the notice message)
- Released on 4/3/3014
- Fixed bug found with some versions of php with a parse error on line 1345 (Thanks joebotha for reporting)
- Released on 4/3/3014
- Added logic to deal with the WP Super Cache plugin adding HTML comments at the bottom of feeds. Setting to allow HTML comments with a note have been added to the Feed settings page.
- Added logic to deal with the W3 Total Cache plugin adding HTML comments at the bottom of feeds. Uses same setting as above.
- Added logic for Verify feature to ignore PHP Warning messages caused by other plugins.
- Added the riff module to getid3 library (thanks Kathy for reporting the riff error)
- Fixed bug with Blubrry media hosting screen, selecting already published media not returning to the post edit screen (Thanks Paul for making us aware of the bug)
- Fixed notice message found in powerpressadmin-defaults.php (thanks sbmorrissey for bringing to our attention)
- Added support for future MultiSite features.
- Tested compatibility with WordPress 3.9.
- Released on 3/2/2014
- Added logic for Blubrry Services to use alternative API servers to address random issues with session errors.
- Released on 1/30/2014
- Fixed bug with MEjs player not working for m4a files (Thanks JT for the code patch!)
- Added logic to PowerPress edit iTunes Subscription URL settings, precaution to make sure the field is saved correctly.
- Made a few CSS changes for WordPress 3.8+
- Noted in the HTML5 audio player option that Firefox 26.0+ now supports mp3 playback. We are aware that Firefox 21.0 supported mp3 playback but it was limited to particular Windows versions.
- Fixed bug where player and links may not appear for custom post type podcasting episodes. (Thanks Seth and Segovia for discovering and helping me debug the problem!)
- Fixed bug where Blubrry hosting customers may not have been able to publish media for custom post type podcasting.
- Renamed post type podcasting setting field in database to avoid possible field setting conflicts.
- Added logic to allow for the premium podcast feeds feature to work with custom post type podcasting.
- Added the HTML5 download attribute, when then download link is clicked the file will be downloaded, rather than streamed to default media player. Only Chrome, Firefox and Opera web browsers currently support this HTML5 attribute.
- Released on 12/3/2013
- Fixed bug with feed title not properly XML encoding ampersand. (Thanks Robin for bringing to our attention!)
- Updated supported version number to WordPress 3.7.1
- Released on 09/23/2013
- Fixed another bug with Feed Episode Maximizer RSS having the invalid characters when used with WordPRess 3.6. Added function
powerpress_get_the_excerpt_rss()to permanently fix issue.
PHP_EOLfrom powerpress-player.php where the player links are added to the post content. This should solve the issue where some themes or plugins replace new line characters with actual
<br/>tags. (Thanks Nathan for the fix!)
- Option to remove statistics from Dashboard has been re-added. 5.0/5.0.1 removed the option which was automatically disabling statistics in dashboard. Our mistake!
- Fixed bug with embed link no longer appearing when using FlowPlayerClassic audio player. (thanks cimmerian for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug with Taxonomy podcasting program level attributes (description, itunes subtitle) not getting applied to taxonomy feed correctly (Thanks Matt for bringing to our attention!)
- Fixed bug with file size and duratoin checkbox setting in General Settings not saving correctly (Thanks Bridge Maker for letting us know about the bug!)
- Added image uploader option to both the episode entry box poster image and new itunes image fields. This version will not cause issues with the media upload button if a user cancels the image upload.
- Released on 08/30/2013
- Removed debug alert box from PowerPress mejs file, only occurred in IE and Safari browsers
- Fixed issue with blubrry Hosting users not being able to upload media with some versions of PHP.
- Fixed podcast title in defaults mode not getting applied to podcast feed.
- Moved extensive changelog history to PowerPress Version History page.
- Released on 08/27/2013
- Advanced Mode added (Was an old feature in PowerPress 1.0 that was removed since 2.0, now it's back!)
- Default Mode with 3 Simple Steps added!
- Taxonomy Podcasting added (feature sponsored by AfterBuzzTV.com)
- Post Type Podcasting added
- MediaElement.js HTML5/CSS Audio and Video player added. You must have WordPress 3.6+ to use this player.
- Embed player will now use the MediaElement.js player when selected
- We now allow images that are 300x300 as the itunes image, but a warning is printed at the top of the page.
- Fixed bug where settings saved message did not always appear at the top of the pages.
- Added define
POWERPRESS_NO_PODCAST_FEED, if set to true in wp-config, PowerPress will not add the default podcast feed with slug name 'podcast'. For users who exclusively want a page or category called 'podcast'. NOTE: There will be no podcast only feed provided by default when this define is set, use at your own risk.
- iTunes and RSS image settings moved to "Artwork" tab.
- New iTunes Episode image option added to both the Artwork tab as well as the Episode Entry Box (Thanks Robin Brinkler and Daniel Lewis for suggesting the features)
- jQuery based watermark replaced with HTML5 placeholder values, the jquery.watermark.js is no longer packaged with PowerPress.
- Fixed bug with Feed Episode Maximizer RSS having the invalid characters when used with WordPRess 3.6.
- Feed Episode Maximizer is no longer experimental, we've successfully used the feature on a number of podcasts without issue for over a year now.
- Player width for audio and video can now use a percentage, ideal for resposive sites.
- player.js script is now always enqueued with other WordPress scripts. If you have player issues, please update your theme!
- Added link to settings from the plugins management screen, should help folks who are new to PowerPress find settings quickly.
- Releaesd on 6/20/2013
- PowerPress 5.0 is coming! If you would like to beta test, please contact Angelo at cio [at] rawovice dot com. Beta testing starts when WordPress 3.6 is released, PowerPress 5.0 will utilize some new features in WordPress 3.6.
- The PowerPress Version Updates Survey results will be posted in the coming weeks. Based on user feedback, we will release minor updates within 7 days if necessary, major releases between 1-3 months apart, and new features will be included in the plugin but disabled by default.
- Fixed logic for displaying statistics in dashboard to time out after 1 second (was previously 15 seconds) so if there's a network issue between the server and blubrry.com the dashboard still loads promptly. (Thanks Michael Hansen for bringing to our attention!)
- Added new filter
powerpress_feed_authfor other plugins to filter feed authentication. (Thanks amereservant for the feature suggestion!)
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_AUTO_DETECT_ONCE, edits to existing episodes will use the specify option if this define is set to true. (Thanks amereservant for the feature suggestion!)
- Fixed bug with ID3 tagging not correctly incrementing the track number for episodes. This only affected Blubrry hosting customers who had this option turned on. (Thanks RWPeck for bringing to our attention!)
- Mobile devices now use the same HTML5 player as the regular desktop HTML5 player found in PowerPress. This is due to reports that some mobile devices are now pre-loading media on pages, this will cut down on such bandwidth. (Thanks Daniel for bringing to our attention)
- Added new define
POWERPRESS_POST_TYPES, when set, only the post types specified are given podcasting episode entry boxes. Multiple post types are separated by commas. Example with added movies custom post type added:
'page,post,movies'. This will bypass the default behavior of adding episode boxes to all post types with
- Fixed bug with unchecking iTunes Closed Captioned option not saving. (Thanks davidcross for reporting bug)
Additional PowerPress Version History
Please visit the PowerPress Version History page for history prior to version 4.0.9.
Compatible Themes and Plugins
Most themes and plugins are compatible with PowerPress. PowerPress is developed and tested using the default themes packaged with WordPress including twentyten, twentytwelve, twentythirteen, twentyfourteen, twentyfifteen, and all future versions. These themes use WordPress best practices and adhere to theme rules set by WordPress.org. Any child theme based on these themes should also work without issue.
If you are having a problem, try Diagnosing Feed and/or Player Issues.
If you are having a problem specifically with the player and links, try the "Having issues?" option under PowerPress Settings > Appearance tab. Visit Resolving Plugin or Theme Conflicts for details.
Premium podcasting themes compatible with PowerPress
Appendipity Podcast Pro theme is is designed specifically to take advantage of built-in features, settings and podcast episode meta data in PowerPress. The Blubrry team works with the Appendipity team during beta testing and major WordPress releases to make sure the Podcast Pro theme and PowerPress work together seamlessly.
The following plugins may be used in conjunction with PowerPress.
- Message Flow - generates a CoverFlow-like interface for your blog posts with podcast episodes. For podcasts, use shortocde
- Eli's PowerPress Addon Widget - Adds a sidebar widget that lists your podcast episodes linked to the play in a new window PowerPress player.
- PowerPress Posts From MySQL - Creates blog posts with PowerPress podcast episode information from a MySQL table.
- Featured Podcast Widget, Home Page - A widget that enables you to display your latest podcast from a category or featured podcast utilising the PowerPress plugin's default player.
- Subscribe Sidebar plugin by Blubrry - A sidebar widget that provides a list of "Subscribe" links to your sidebar.
Why doesn't Blubrry PowerPress support multiple enclosures in one feed item/post?
Blubrry PowerPress does not allow you to include multiple media files for one feed item (blog post). This is because each podcatcher handles multiple enclosures in feeds differently. iTunes will download the first enclosure that it sees in the feed ignoring the rest. Other podcatchers and podcasting directories either pick up the first enclosure or the last in each post item. This inconsistency combined with the fact that Dave Winer does not recommend multiple enclosures and the FeedValidator.org recommendation against it is why the Blubrry PowerPress does not support them.
As a alternative, PowerPress allows you to create additional Custom Podcast Feeds to associate any magnitude of media format and/or length in a blog post to specific custom feeds. For example, you can create one blog post associated to separate video and audio podcast feeds saving you time from entering your show notes twice.
Why doesn't Blubrry PowerPress include media statistics built-in?
Blubrry PowerPress does not include media statistics built-in. This is not because Blubrry has its own statistics service, although that's a good reason by itself. Maintaining and calculating statistics is a resource and server intensive task that would add bloat to an otherwise efficient WordPress podcasting plugin. We recommend using your media hosting's web statistics to give you basic download numbers and, if you are seeking more grandular measurements such as client and geographical information for each episode, you're more than welcome to use the Blubrry Statistics service as well.
You may however access your Blubrry Statistics from within your WordPress dashboard.
How do you insert the player within a blog post?
You can insert the media player within your blog posts by using the WordPress shortcode feature. The shortcode for PowerPress is
[powerpress] (all lowercase)
You may use the shortcode to add a player to other media files (non episode files) by specifying the media url in the shortcode: [powerpress url="http://example.com/path/to/media.mp3"]
For advanced users with multiple podcast feeds, you may insert the player for a specific feed by specifying the feed slug in the shortcode: [powerpress feed="podcast"]
If you want to specify a cover image, add an image attribute which points to the specific image url: [powerpress image="http://example.com/path/to/cover_image.jpg"] Experimental
Why can't you upload large media files?
File uploads are tricky to handle because there are so many web hosting variations with different upload size limits. We recommend using an FTP application to upload large media files. FTP is much more efficient than web based uploads and is typically provided by nearly all web hosting providers.
The Media Player does not appear on my site?
. . . or the RSS feed is invalid?
This can happen when there is a theme or plugin conflict. Please visit our Diagnosing Feed and/or Player Issues for instructions how to resolve such issues.
Angelo Mandato, CIO RawVoice - Plugin founder, architect and lead developer
Pat McSweeny, PHP Developer - Developed initial version (v0.1.0) of plugin
Jerry Stephens, Way of the Geek - Contributed initial code fix for excerpt bug resolved in v0.6.1, wrote initial code for the 4 new flash players.
Darcy Fiander, Rooty Radio - Fixed bug with category links to FeedValidator.org and category title warning when validating category feeds.
Joel Haasnoot, Perosnal Blog - Developed PodPress archive statistics.
Nicolas Bouliane, Perosnal Blog - contributed code for
- Danish translation for v1.0.11+ by Team Blogos - Latest translation available here
- French translation for v1.0.11+ by Aureien Denis - Aurélien is looking for assistance maintaining the French translation, email wpchannel [at] gmail.com if interested.
- Simplified Chinese for v1.0.12+ by webmote - From webmote: Welcome to use the plugin. Very good! and then hope you to access my site.
- Italian translation for v2.0.4+ by Umberto Sartori
- Romanian translation for v2.0.4+ by Alexander Ovsov (Web Geek Sciense: http://webhostinggeeks.com/science/)
- Russian translation for v4.0.5+ by Igor Mercury
- Brazilian Portuguese translation for v6.0+ by Leo Lopes from Radiofobia
Tips and Tutorials
Please contact blubrry with the link to your tips or tutorial for PowerPress and we'll add them to the list above.