Android Market QR Codes WP Plugin
This plugin lets you easily create clickable and customizable QR codes for any Android app in the Market. They are context aware (checks user agent).
Many people write about Android apps on WordPress blogs, and it's common to just provide a text link to the application in the Web Market. Google's Installation button that pushes apps directly to our phones is very convenient, but some people still prefer good old QR codes.
With the Android Market QR Codes WP Plugin, you can have the best of both worlds: a clickable and customizable QR code that's easy to add. The plugin can even show the app's current rating, along with its title and official icon. When scanned, the QR codes naturally take you to the Market on your phone. The QR codes are also clickable, and if you click on the codes using a computer, you will be taken to the Web Market, but if you tap on them from an Android device, it will open the Market app on your mobile.
The Android Market QR Codes WP Plugin uses WordPress shortcodes feature, and is very easy to use.
1) Visit either the Android Market on the web or the popular third-party site AppBrain.com, and locate the app you want to create a QR code for.
2) In your web browser, copy the entire URL from the address bar and paste it into a WordPress post or page. Paste the link where you want the QR code to appear. You can also just use the name of the app instead of a Web Market link, but the first two methods are recommended since they extract the package name.
3) Simply surround the link with [qr] [/qr], and a QR code will be generated automatically by the plugin. You don't need to use WordPress HTML mode.
4) The appearance of the QR codes can be customized from WP Admin > Settings > Android Market QR Codes.
A regular link to an app in the Android Market on the web:
The WordPress plugin automatically excludes any redundant info at the end of the links, so you don't have to remove it yourself. Thus, this type of link will work as well.
AppBrain links are also supported:
Just the name of an app:
|Tags||android, apps, codes, generator, market, plugin, qr, qrcodes, wordpress, wp|
- Upload the plugin to the "/wp-content/plugins/" folder
- Activate the plugin through the "Plugins" menu in WordPress
- If you want to, customize the QR codes from Settings > Android Market QR Codes
- Fixed a minor bug (redundant info in the Web Market links didn't get properly erased).
- Update released April 12, 2011.
- Minor fix: the default settings would only appear in the setup screen if the plugin already had been used once.
- Update released April 02, 2011.
- Added a feature that shows the app's title, current rating and official icon.
- Added more options.
- Optimized and streamlined the code.
- Update released April 02, 2011.
- Added an option to display a custom download icon on Android devices instead of a QR code.
- Redesigned the Settings screen in WordPress a bit.
- Made the default border color more similar to white.
- Update released March 31, 2011.
The first release of the Android Market QR Codes WP Plugin. March 30, 2011.
How can I customize the appearance of the QR codes?
Log in to WordPress as an administrator, and from the Dashboard, go to Settings > Android Market QR Codes.
I want to show a custom download icon instead of a QR code on Android devices
In the plugin's settings, enter the full URL to an image and it will be displayed instead of a QR code on Androids. Please note that you naturally won't be able to see this image on computers.